PDA

View Full Version : How can I actually SEE services ?

delimiter
28th October 2006, 07:59 PM
Being a UNIX user, I have certain things already in my head's directory hierarchy. Recently, I came across the need to use Linux and it has been quite frustrating. You see, in UNIX, everything starts from the services. So, a simple "svcs" command will tell you everything you need to know. Is there something similar in Linux? :confused: :confused:

All I have found up to now are some GUI-based apps in the Fedora 6, such as
"service --status-all"

It is better from nothing, but is that it? Help me to find a place to start. :D

Thanx in advance,
Delimiter

u-noneinc-s
28th October 2006, 08:10 PM
Not clear what you want. Are you looking for a list of available services running or not? system-config-services. There you can start/stop/restart services as well as choose whether or not to start sevices at boot and what runlevel services are available in.

delimiter
28th October 2006, 08:22 PM
u-noneinc-s : "system-config-services" is exactly what I need ! Thanx a lot. I was wondering though, if there is such a tool in the command line and not in Graphical User Interface.

For example, when I type "svcs" in Solaris, I get :

state date/time service_name

where,

state : online, offline, legacy_run, maintenance, degraded, disabled
date/time :
service name : a descriptive name of the service, e.g. svc:/system/filesystem/root:default

Thanx anyways for your help mate :D

belsidaam
28th October 2006, 08:24 PM
Try:
for realtime processes or ps -auxw for more detail but not realtime
(http://belsidaam.homeip.net)

pparks1
28th October 2006, 08:32 PM
To see a list of the services that are enabled at various run levels you can use the chkconfig command

chkconfig -- list

To turn a service on or off, you can use the chkconfig command as well

chkconfig servicename on/off

Brian1
28th October 2006, 09:02 PM
You can use the command ' service --status-all ' to list all services configured in init.d and whether running or not.
Run as root to get more details for some will not respond to users.

Brian

delimiter
28th October 2006, 09:29 PM
pparks1: Man, exactly what I was looking for. You are a lifesaver :D :D :D

pparks1
28th October 2006, 09:43 PM
No problem, glad that i was able to figure out your question and share some knowledge.