PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2 won't display text files

Detonate
28th October 2006, 07:54 PM
When opening a text file from a web site, Firefox 2 gives me the file open or save dialog box. It should just open the file and display it. If I save the file to disk, and open it with Firefox from the File menu, with "Open file" it displays it as it should. I have turned the libnullplugin on and off using "about:config" but no change. Acts the same both ways. Any ideas?

FC6
Firefox 2

Detonate
29th October 2006, 01:22 AM
Upon further experimentation, it appears the problem is only when opening links from certain sites. for example if someone attaches a link to a text file in this forum, when I click on the link, the file does not open, but brings up the file download page. However, files at other locations, for example the SHA1SUM file, which is a text file, opens as expected. but shouldn't a file attached to a message in this forum, that is a text file, open the same way?

Seve
29th October 2006, 02:20 AM
Hello:
running ff 2.0 on FC6 here as well
Yes, I just tried what you described and the attached text files on the site here open differently.
I had to select what I wanted to do with it? Save or open with and then search for an application to open it with [in my case gedit] then select the box to do this automatically from now on.
Once that was done, then the attached text files open the same as other sites.
The one I tried was here : http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=134063
post number six. It may be that the attached file ending in .conf was not recognized as text?
There was also a ff message saying I could change the behaviour in Edit / Preferences / Content later if I wanted to
Seve

Detonate
29th October 2006, 02:35 AM
Seve, in mine, even though I chose the application (Kedit in my case)) and clicked the box "always open this type of file with this automatically" or what ever it says, it still brings up the file download dialog every time I click on a text file in the forum. It doesn't seem to want to remember. I can relate to that. :)

And shouldn't the files merely open in the firefox window? I know firefox knows how to read plain text files, after all, HTML files are really plain text files.