PDA

View Full Version : Konsole is unable to open a PTY

bkorb
28th October 2006, 05:04 PM
Trying to open a terminal window on a *fresh* install:

``Konsole is unable to open a PTY (pseudo teletype). It is likely that this is due to an incorrect configuration of the PTY devices. Konsole needs to have read/write access to the PTY devices.''

makes it difficult to wander around /etc and try to find and fix xconfigury issues... *THAT* is my
main problem. Going into init 5 locks my system. Reset does not even work. Power cycle only.
"startx" works fine, though. Oh, the sound driver also complains it cannot find the /dev/sdxx
(spelling?) device, but that is the least of my worries right now.

bkorb
28th October 2006, 07:10 PM
Oct 28 02:00:08 bach kernel: SELinux: initialized (dev devpts, type devpts), uses transition SIDs

Possibly this is related to being inside a chrooted rescue boot. I've set my default run level
back to 3 and will reboot with a "normal" boot. I hope..

bkorb
28th October 2006, 07:47 PM
Nope. "startx" hangs when booting into init 3. Ctl-Alt-F2 got me to a shell that would not respond to the "reboot"
command. Ctl-Alt-Del got me back to this rescue image. This is all pretty sucky and I've spent six hours
of my time fiddling, getting nowhere and no hints at all. Dang. I really like a lot of the FC features, but one in
particular seems more important than the features I like: it needs to fundamentally work. It does not.