PDA

View Full Version : Should the "Unable to retrieve software information" error occur when...

phantomcow2
28th October 2006, 04:37 PM
When I am already connected to the internet? I am having this issue when trying to install RPM's. It brings up hte box, and I have to close. The problem seems to occur when one is not connected to the internet. Well, I have a wired connection to a router, when to a broadband connection. I am online now, typing this message.

Does anybody know why this is happening?

u-noneinc-s
28th October 2006, 06:58 PM
FC5 or 6? This was "supposed" to be fixed. I assumed it would work on FC6. Perhaps they changed their minds. :(

phantomcow2
28th October 2006, 08:30 PM
This is with FC6. I don't know, I am having only problems with FC6 right now. My graphical login just vanished, I can't install RPMs and some 'eworks' repository is causing problems. Tempted to go back into FC5, never had these problems.

u-noneinc-s
28th October 2006, 08:44 PM
I've seen the eworks error posted (I'm not running 6 yet). Add the --disablerepo=eworks to yum (or Eeworks if that's the case). yum --disablerepo=reponame update.

As for installing from CD/DVD. There is a workaround for FC5. Should work with 6 (unless there have been drastic changes).
http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages
http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/1055
Check them both out.

Mis-read. I thought you were having problems with installing from media. You are having problems with rpm. :(

phantomcow2
28th October 2006, 08:54 PM
I did manage to get Yum working alright using htat disable repo command. But, the issue is now with trying to use pup, or install any RPM's.

u-noneinc-s
28th October 2006, 09:02 PM
Do you know what the eworks repo is for? if you disable the repo you should be ok but I don't know if you need it or not. Hopefully someone who knows will reply.
The --disable repo is just a one rime function so it won't effect pup or add remove programs (I assume you are trying to install rpms with add/remove). They also use yum. (in FC5 anyway).
To disable the repo you need to edit /etc/yum.repos.d/eworks.repo (or however it is named). and change enabled = 1 to enabled = 0 save, exit. And you should be fine (except for whatever eworks is needed for).

I do hope someone else will jump in. I would like to know what's going on before I install FC6 :D