PDA

View Full Version : FC6 - Cannot Log In After Updates

zenarcher
28th October 2006, 02:24 PM
I just installed some updates this morning through SMART. Since doing so, when I reboot, everything appears fine until I reach the Login Screen. (I am using KDE desktop). I enter my username and password and get a message advising, "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

When I click to check the log (~/.xsession-errors file) message, I have this information: "localuser: zenarcher being added to access control list."

Could anyone help me fix this problem? I am quite new to FC and Linux.

Cheers,
zenarcher

zenarcher
28th October 2006, 04:43 PM
Well, I guess no one knows the answer to this one, so I'm off to FC6 reinstall land....for the fourth time.

zenarcher

leigh123linux
28th October 2006, 05:01 PM
hi i updated last night , there was a new selinux and i think bash packages which i installed, after i treid login into gnome ,i got a error message saying i did not have the right permission 644 , it still let me in , but root password no longer worked in terminal.

glennzo
28th October 2006, 05:50 PM
Zenarcher, I don't know the answer to your question, however, I seem to recall seeing a similar question asked here in the past. Now for the obvious question. Did you search in these forums?

trickynik
29th October 2006, 10:25 AM
I ran updates on my FC6 today using yum and I too have the same problem trying to login and get the 10 second error message as I try to login - I have gnome and KDE.. I reinstalled and ran updates again..same problem!
I can access it via SSH from my other pc.
Anyone knows what causing this?

staham
29th October 2006, 10:35 AM
It could be a number of things.. But if you know which updates you installed, that would probably help.

It can be a permission problem. If you can't find anything in the logfiles, I would probably shut down kdm / gdm and try startx manually. Haven't needed to do that for years though, so I'm not sure how that works nowadays.

leigh123linux
29th October 2006, 12:01 PM
try login with gnome

zenarcher
29th October 2006, 12:34 PM
Yes, I did search the forum and also did a Google search, before I posted this question. I found several very similar questions and responses with the error, but none specifically related to the ~/.xsession-errors.

I did another fresh install....tried to update some of the packages from development and encountered the same issue again. I did another fresh install and this time, only picked a very few selected development packages, including Firefox 2.0 and the development version of Evolution email, along with some KDE extras and icons. So far, everything is going well with that.

I think I'll just hold with what I have for now and wait for stable packages on the rest. It really wasn't a big deal, as I've only done the FC6 install on my test machine, because I was expecting problems like this. I'll wait another couple of weeks and see how everything progresses, before installing FC6 on my regular box, which currently runs FC5.

zenarcher

hammel
29th October 2006, 03:54 PM
please make a bugreport to bugzilla (bugzilla.redhat.com)!

KoubaK
29th October 2006, 07:23 PM
I am also having the same problem since last night, is being a pain in the neck... since my linux box is running my ftp .. now i cant get my files from work :(

u-noneinc-s
29th October 2006, 07:43 PM
Try renaming .kderc .kderc.something and login again.
I have had this happen a couple of times in the past but I can't remember what it was that fixed it. It seems it had something to do with ~/.kde files. Altohugh, If I recall, one of those time affected both gnome and kde.
Create a new user and see if the new user can login

KoubaK
29th October 2006, 08:48 PM
Try renaming .kderc .kderc.something and login again.
I have had this happen a couple of times in the past but I can't remember what it was that fixed it. It seems it had something to do with ~/.kde files. Altohugh, If I recall, one of those time affected both gnome and kde.
Create a new user and see if the new user can login

but im not using KDE I only got GNOME.. :(

u-noneinc-s
29th October 2006, 09:04 PM
I knew I should have said "@zenarcher". :D You can still try the new user and see if it works. That may help narrow it down anyway.
For gnome, there are also .gnome and .gnome2 (or something like that). In either case, I don't recommend deleting them but moving/renaming them so if you get a login you can copy settings back. I think gnome has a few ~/. files. Yeah, just looked and it's got some .gconfig or .gconf(?) files. maybe try them one at a time. If one doesn't work, move it back and move another.
I know there are other solutions/causes than user dot files, but I can''t recall/find the threads.

I have seen this thread (problem) in the last few months (since FC5 release) and I know someone has posted a fix.

KoubaK
29th October 2006, 09:21 PM
thanks... i guess i can still try it in failsafe terminal since i cant login in console neither.. :( i see what happens..

//Edit
you options didnt work... i guess i will just wait couple of more hours if not im reinstalling it.

KoubaK
30th October 2006, 02:43 AM
anybody was able to fix this? this is getting me piss lol..

u-noneinc-s
30th October 2006, 03:04 AM
When you logged in failsafe, did you check file permissions and make sure your username and UID were correct?
I think
what happened to me once was I did an install (with an existing /home partition) and the install assigned me UID 500 but My initial UID was 501. I changed my UID in the new install to 501 and logged in.
This was some time ago with mkd-10 and my memory is getting fuzzy, but I'm sure that was the issue then.
Took me a while to remember (if I really do remember;)) Maybe I just stroked out for a minute.

KoubaK
30th October 2006, 03:16 AM
how i do that? im a n00b at this :)

u-noneinc-s
30th October 2006, 05:08 AM
I'm not too good with the command line, and at the moment I really don't remember. /etc/passwd will tell you what your UID is/was, but I don't recall how to check what your old (/home/username) UID is set to (if it was changed in /etc/passwd). (Not exactly how I want to word this but it's the best I can do at the moment)

Actually it shouldn't change unless you have it set to a non default and then you reinstall and get a default UID set.

Do you have a seperate /home partition?

I'll get back to you when it comes back to me (unless someone beats me to it.

As bad as my memory is, if nobody else chimes in, you might be better off reinstalling, but give it some time if you can.

I could be entirely wrong about this (as I often am).

u-noneinc-s
30th October 2006, 06:51 AM
In a terminal, type
ls -n /home That will give you the UID of all users in /home. Then type
more /etc/passwd This will tell you the UID of all users. Find your username and compare the UID with that of ls -n /home. If they are the same, then this is not your problem and I'm sorry to say, I'm out of ideas. :(

If they are not the same, I don't recall how to fix it. Start a new thread with that information.

It has something to do with changing /etc/passwd, but I think there is a command for setting the new passwd file after it's changed and I don't remember it.
Do not do that until you find out.

Good luck

EDITED FOR CORRECTION

KoubaK
30th October 2006, 07:34 AM
well u-noneinc-s UID match 500 for user on /home and 500 for user on /etc/passwd .. I guess this is as far as we can go.. hmm.. my question now is, will it happen again after i do a fresh install?

u-noneinc-s
30th October 2006, 07:54 AM
When you reinstall, do your updates a few at a time and if it "breaks" again you can at least narrow it down to which package updates caused the problem and avoid them "next time" (Hopefully there wont be a next time;). Problem updates usually get fixed pretty fast.

If you don't already have one, create a seperate /home partition. It can be a life saver if you need to install again or next time you upgrade (install FC7 or FC8). You won't lose any personal data, media files etc. because you leave /home alone when you format for the install.

KoubaK
30th October 2006, 08:01 AM
thanks that sounds interesting on creating a seperate partion for /home, well i guess i will just have to wait until i get my other box... :) thanks for the help... and i'll try to narrow my updates.. but i can tell one thing for sure.. i got this error after i installed the livnia respo... idk that might help others to try to be more carefull..

u-noneinc-s
30th October 2006, 08:19 AM
If you have some instructions you are following out there, don't mix too many methods. There are quite a few installation guides out there. If you find one you like, stick with it.

Example, I like(d) Stanton Finleys installation notes (not available for 6). Some people like The fedorafaq method. They are both good resources, but I would not mix them especially when it comes to yum. (Or maybe mainly when it comes to yum). If you have freshrpms or dries repos installed and you install livna for something, kepp it disabled by default. Don't mix Livna with freshrpms and dries. I belive it is ok to use both dries and freshrpms.
It is ok to use them all at times, but not all at the same time.

Avoid atrpms. If you need something from atrpms. DL it and install it manually or ask the forum for advise do not install atrpms repo. Some people use them without problems but they know what they are doing. We don't.

EDIT: I may not be right about the comment in red. I have had no problems installing a couple of things from livna and I have installed most of my media stuff from freshrpms

zenarcher
30th October 2006, 08:45 AM
Well, my fix was to do reinstall number 6 and not do most of the updates through development. I only updated a handful of packages that I was pretty sure should be safe to do.

I still haven't figured out why my printer is incorrectly identified in FC6, nor why I can't change it. I can print, but not scan, since FC6 identifies it as the wrong printer. It was properly identified and works perfectly in FC5. FC6 won't let me change it, add another printer or do anything else, as a regular user nor as administrator.

zenarcher

hammel
30th October 2006, 01:15 PM
make an update, it is fixed now. of course in rawhide!

val_
30th October 2006, 08:34 PM
i have the same problem. trying to fix...

KoubaK
30th October 2006, 11:55 PM
make an update, it is fixed now. of course in rawhide!

its impossible for me to update because i dont have networking.. it doesnt start in failsafe terminal.

u-noneinc-s
31st October 2006, 12:20 AM
I take it you mean you can't connect to it from another PC (and of course you said no failsafe). Insert CD1 or DVD and reboot.

At the screen, type linux rescue. Follow along with the prompts and enable network connection when prompted.

When you get logged in (linux rescue should work) type chroot /mnt/sysimage. Then do yum update.

Hope this works.

staham
31st October 2006, 10:23 AM
its impossible for me to update because i dont have networking.. it doesnt start in failsafe terminal.

Just one question.. After a fresh boot, are you presented with a graphical logon? Is it in this that you can't log in?

If that is so, you could try Ctrl+Alt+F1, to switch to a console logon instead. This is a text based logon. I would guess the problem is X based. So you should be able to log in on the console.

If you can't log in there either, I might have some further suggestions.

However, if you can log in there:

1. Become root
2. Run the command: yum update

As the problem is fixed in the updates, you should now be able to reboot and log in as usual in the graphical logon screen.

staham
31st October 2006, 10:26 AM
And if you can't log in on the console. Try login as root. If you can't log in as root either, then something is seriously wrong somewhere..

hammel
31st October 2006, 10:36 AM
...or try to login via ssh from another computer.

leigh123linux
31st October 2006, 11:32 AM
Hi, I use gnome on fc6 and can't login as root in terminal from my user account , but it will if i use the root user account no problem.

KoubaK
31st October 2006, 04:27 PM
...or try to login via ssh from another computer.

okay, i did a fresh install of FC6 anyways... there was no way to have done anything like console, failsafe or ssh since it has not networking .. it wouldnt read the respo since it didnt get the thingy to get to the internet... ;) but everything is fresh n nice now.. i guess i will just download the packages n install them manually (thoses that are not from the FC6 updates) because i remember last time i updated before the problem, i remember seeing libquicktime.so n others from same type .. updating.. lol

hammel
31st October 2006, 05:07 PM
i think there was a problem with glibc, i had the same ting with rawhide. after the second update of glibc the problem was gone.

i have now version 2.5.90-3 of glibc.

trickynik
1st November 2006, 03:02 AM
I reinstalled FC6 about 3 times - first time is with KDE and next both Gnome and KDE - I think there was something like 130 updates and for the life of me I cant rememeber which error I saw while updating via yum.
At the end I installed again, and this time Gnome and picked handful of packages. Installed it sucessfully and updates went well with no hiccups (20 updates) and I can able to login from root and user account.
So maybe there seems to be some problems with KDE? or other files that was selected to download that messed it up. Hopefully it be sorted out on next updates :D

staham
1st November 2006, 08:34 AM
No problem with KDE. I installed both Gnome and KDE, but I only use KDE.

Now the number of updates makes me wonder.. Have you enabled unstable/testing repos or something?
I only install the stable packages, and have had no problems.

KoubaK
1st November 2006, 04:24 PM
Now the number of updates makes me wonder.. Have you enabled unstable/testing repos or something?
I only install the stable packages, and have had no problems.

I read something about that.. i thnk it was in this same thread not sure.. n too lazy to go back. neways.. the post i read was about having many respo installed like freshrpms n livna . n atrmps or something like that.. that was causing many problems.. idk.. n for now i will keep my FC box updated to the basics updates from the "original respo" :D n i will install my apps manually.. that way i know what cause the problem ;)

ihavenoname
3rd November 2006, 07:07 AM
Everyone reporting problems, try typing selinux=0 in grub after rhgb and see if that helps at all. This fixed the issue for me. Good luck!

staham
3rd November 2006, 07:54 AM
I have only the standard repos and freshrpms. I had problems with Livna before, but more of the "I don't want to install" kind. There were some conflicts. After that I use only freshrpms, and everything works perfectly with yum.

About disabling SELinux - I didn't need it, so I disabled it right away. Maybe that's why I didn't have any problems?