PDA

View Full Version : Kernels

tizwoz
28th October 2006, 01:59 PM
In all my time on fedora, the only thing that i've yet to seriously not understand is kernels. I have tried googling but i just get dizzier and dizzer.

Like I know there's a command to upgrade kernal by yumming it. Does FC5 operate of a kernal or what :confused:

I'm gonna be installationg FC5 again soon (if I can manage it) as soon as i've done it, do I need to immediately upgrade my kernal? if so why? :confused:

Would appreciate if anyone can explain this! Ty!! :) :) :)

multescugeorge@
28th October 2006, 02:14 PM
The absolute first Fedora 5 kernel had a little tiny bug that prevented loading of third party modules, like the ones that come from livna and drive nvidia and ATI video cards, so it's ok to update the kernel after a fresh FC5 install, the comand is:
yum update kernel

sn68
28th October 2006, 06:24 PM
I'm gonna be installationg FC5 again soon (if I can manage it) as soon as i've done it, do I need to immediately upgrade my kernal? if so why?

No! you do not need to update your kernel immediately, in fact if all your reqd software & hardware works properly with the default kernel then there is no need to upgrade.
However upgraded kernel will provide better security & better/more driver support among other things, so remains a desirable option

tizwoz
28th October 2006, 06:54 PM
No! you do not need to update your kernel immediately, in fact if all your reqd software & hardware works properly with the default kernel then there is no need to upgrade.
However upgraded kernel will provide better security & better/more driver support among other things, so remains a desirable option

Right I see... so I only need to update my kernal when software don't work, well that explains vmware.

Cheers all, I'm getting a better understanding now :D