PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell is Amarok???

arapidsfan
28th October 2006, 02:22 AM
how come there is no amarok, for x86. 64 http://fedoraproject.org/extras/6/i386/repodata/repoview/amarok-0-1.4.3-6.fc6.html.

RahulSundaram
28th October 2006, 02:38 AM
how come there is no amarok, for x86. 64 http://fedoraproject.org/extras/6/i386/repodata/repoview/amarok-0-1.4.3-6.fc6.html.

Amarok doesnt work with the gstreamer engine anymore. It either has to be compiled against Helix framework or Xine framework. It is currently build against the Helix framework which doesnt have support for x86_64 architecture.

Xine lib is currently under review

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=205798

It has taken a long term for legal cross checking. However it is mostly complete now. When it is pushed into extras, Amarok would be probably build against Xine lib and will be available back on x86_64.

cruiseoveride
28th October 2006, 02:55 AM
Where the hell is Amarok gone in fc6?

Life doesnt make sense anymore to me.

Where is my Amarok? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

cruiseoveride
28th October 2006, 03:07 AM
its bye bye gstreamer for me than,.

an i actually thought gst was good.

back to good old xine,

for me the only purpose of the computer is for Amarok. and Internet.

FC6 sucks!!!

bob
28th October 2006, 03:30 AM
Cruise - clearly this isn't working for you. You've been a great asset to the Forum, but if a distro's not working, it's just not working. I could suggest you drop back a version, but there's also a new release of Ubuntu 6.10 to explore and a ton more of them out there that might have everything working properly for your machine. I'd poke around with some live CD's and see if you can find what's right for your personal taste. Heck, I'm happy with FC (especially with FC6) and also PCLinuxOS, but I'm going to boot Ubuntu 6.10 myself and ... some day... I WILL boot the Hurd!

Dan
28th October 2006, 03:39 AM
Booted the new Xubuntu last night. Everything worked except no xsane. Pretty snazzzy for a traveling live distro. Booted the new PClinuxOS live CD two nights ago. Impressive! But, booted FC 6 several nights ago. Its got some issues, but on the whole, I really like it. I'll retain FC5 for a while while FC6 gets her kinks worked out. But then... FC6? You bet!

Dan

cruiseoveride
28th October 2006, 03:45 AM
Cruise - clearly this isn't working for you. You've been a great asset to the Forum, but if a distro's not working, it's just not working. I could suggest you drop back a version, but there's also a new release of Ubuntu 6.10 to explore and a ton more of them out there that might have everything working properly for your machine. I'd poke around with some live CD's and see if you can find what's right for your personal taste. Heck, I'm happy with FC (especially with FC6) and also PCLinuxOS, but I'm going to boot Ubuntu 6.10 myself and ... some day... I WILL boot the Hurd!

nah, bob,

No pain no gain. I believe Fedora is the best Linux distribution there is, she can be a real B**ch, sometimes, but i do know that she will never let me down.

on linux, if its broke, it CAN be fixed, and
once its fixed, it CANT be broke,

ill simply compile amarok from source,

ignore my wineing, temporary "pissed off"ness

bob
28th October 2006, 03:59 AM
It's okay, Cruise, you're sure entitled to a rant or two. I always advise to wait for 30 days before installing each new version, but then I'm searching for those leaked mirrors right along with everyone else. :D

cruiseoveride
28th October 2006, 04:10 AM
do u have any idea why i have this retarded evolution problem, where once i boot into gnome, i my first kill evolution-data-server first before i can run evolution.

by the way pulling Amarok out of Fedora, just because it doesnt work with gst, was a low blow, i thought I read the relese notes, i didnt see any mention of it.

RahulSundaram
28th October 2006, 04:38 AM
do u have any idea why i have this retarded evolution problem, where once i boot into gnome, i my first kill evolution-data-server first before i can run evolution.

by the way pulling Amarok out of Fedora, just because it doesnt work with gst, was a low blow, i thought I read the relese notes, i didnt see any mention of it.

There is a couple of problems reported on evolution in bugzilla waiting on reporter to provide more feedback. You can try adding your comments to it.

Read what I said earlier. Amarok is a extras package and it has NOT been killed. This is a temporary issue of not being available on x86_64 architecture because of a change in upstream media fraemwork support. The release notes cover Fedora Core primarily. Amarok is a extras package. Anyone with a wiki account is free to add additional notes to it however.

cruiseoveride
28th October 2006, 05:02 AM
wats wrong with 64bit arch?
why is Fedora keeping Amarok in 32bit repo only?

RahulSundaram
28th October 2006, 05:09 AM
wats wrong with 64bit arch?
why is Fedora keeping Amarok in 32bit repo only?

I already answered that just above. Read it again.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=659605&postcount=2

pparks1
28th October 2006, 05:13 AM
Glad to hear that amarok will still be availabe in the 32-bit versions. That was one application that I use quite a lot and would really miss.

Kirov-sama
28th October 2006, 08:02 AM
I've been compiling Amarok myself now for a while (even w/ the package available for x86_64) and it's been a pretty painless process. If you feel comfortable w/ the SVN version, they have a nice script to check out the svn, compile, install, and update Amarok.

cruiseoveride
28th October 2006, 03:36 PM
i have amarok 1.4.3 runing smooth, installed it into /opt and life is almost back to normal

i installed emeral and beryl to instead of the fedora compiz.

you should try it out it has a lot more flexibilty http://www.beryl-project.org/

Kirov-sama
31st October 2006, 10:16 PM
i have amarok 1.4.3 runing smooth, installed it into /opt and life is almost back to normal

i installed emeral and beryl to instead of the fedora compiz.

you should try it out it has a lot more flexibilty http://www.beryl-project.org/
running beryl now and it definately is a lot more flexible than compiz. not to mention more effects! :cool: