PDA

View Full Version : Did Fedora Core/GNOME kill my monitors?

firefoxtrekker
28th October 2006, 01:53 AM
To start this post I will give a little background of how I arrived at this point. I was running SuSE 10.0 and just lovin it, it was the first time that I had linux installed and everything was working. I was on my way to going Windowless! I then wanted to try some other distros, so I downloaded Fedora Core 5 and got it up and running on the same box along with WinXP and SuSE. This is where my problems started, I was using KDE with SuSE and I wanted to try GNOME with fc5. Very soon after I had everything up and running my monitor started acting funny, at first as I remember when I would boot into SuSE and KDE the monitor would go black. I would then hit the power switch off then back on and the monitor would come on for about 3 sec's. I would keep doing this until I got to System Configuration then sign in as root and change the monitor settings and it would come back on. I dont remember what I would change it to as I cant find the notes. I then would go into Fedora, SuSE and WinXP and set the monitor settings to say 1024x768 @ 60 Hz. I was trying to keep all the settings the same in all the OS's, then I was getting a lot of flickering going on. I was hitting the forums and couldnt find any info except to not excede the maximum refresh rate for the monitor otherwise I could damage it, well I never exceded 75 Hz as this was the max and I always tried to keep the settings the same in all OS's. This was confusing some of the time because in WinXP the color quality was in 16 and 32 bit, and in linux it would give me the choices in Color Depth of 256 colors, Thousands of colors and Millions of colors. I would set WinXP to 32 bit and linux to Millions of colors. Then like I said keep all the sync freq's to say 60 Hz. The flickering never went away and I was getting very frustrated, then my monitor just up and died. I could even smell something like melting wires. Luckily my monitor was still under the Mfg's warenty so I got it fixed. While I was getting it fixed I put another monitor on the system and only ran Fedora Core5 and this worked fine for a couple of months, (long story about the monitor proof of purchase). Then I installed PC-BSD on an older seperate computer and hooked up a KVM switch so I could go between the two systems. Well PC-BSD uses KDE as the default desktop, in a couple of days I was getting flickering. I went through the setting game again, then I started to smell the burning again. I quickly took the PC-BSD system off the monitor, but it was too late now this monitor was dead. The only thing I can come up with is GNOME and KDE not playing well with each other, but I could not find anything to back this up. Then the only other thing in common was Fedora Core5 running GNOME, and another OS running KDE. I now have my newly fixed monitor back and I am running SimplyMEPIS with KDE and everything is running fine. I am afraid to try Fedora Core6 because of the monitor issue, I love Fedora Core and want it as my main distro but I am afraid to go back to it. If anyone can help me PLEASE, I want Fedora Core back! (Below are the hardware stats).

Newly repaired monitor: Proview PL716s
Other dead monitor: Packard Bell 1020
Graphics card/chip (main box): SiS 760/964
Old computer: card/chip: Intel 810

stutes
28th October 2006, 07:04 AM
I've not experienced this myself with FC5 (which I just installed this month), but I'm a noob that started with FC1 at the beginning of the year, and when I first started out I went through three (thankfully old CRTs) monitors before I finally found one that would work with FC1. The other three just up and died. I couldn't get them to work with anything anymore. Not with FC1, nor with XP. I'm not certain, but it seemed like as soon as the these monitors went into the screen saver, or perhaps it was the power save mode, that I lost these three monitors. It was like they went into power save mode and just never came back. All three worked fine during installation of FC1, and worked fine when I booted into gnome (never tried KDE). But when I walked away and left it on and came back later, the monitors were died.

whizzer
30th October 2006, 03:56 AM
I had an old Compaq 19" monitor. Worked fine at 75Mhz. For some reason after FC6 install, it kept coming at 85Mhz. Screen was very shaky, change to 75Mhz(both in root & user) and all was fine, The prpblem I found is that this preference is not retained between system boots, always goes back to 85Mhz. After man boots the monitor started to pop w/cracking sound -- finally up and died. Now runing on an older 17" montior, same issue.
Keeps reverting back to 85Mhz between boots. No other problems with FC6 so far.

Question: Why offer screen resoluton refresh "changes" if they are not retained as a default value?

Thanks

Whizzer

extendedping
30th October 2006, 04:44 AM
I have a kinda similar thing I have fed 5 and xp...with xp everything i s fine but with fedora 5 running when I leave the computer and come back the monitor is gone...I can hit F2 and get a new x session by typing startx but my original x session is dead....I have turned the settings under power preferences so the monitor and the harddrives whoudl never turn off. Like you I wan't to really use fedora to get away from windows but its just not happening till I can firure out the problem...

firefoxtrekker
31st October 2006, 02:45 PM
I can see by the replies that others are having this problem. I have searched and searched but I cant find much in the forums that relates to this issue. From what I have found just keep within the limits of the Verticle and Horizontal refresh rates and you will be ok. For my monitor the specs are Horizontal Freq: 31 kHz ~ 80 kHz and Vertical Freq: 60 Hz ~ 75 Hz. So when I am trying different distros I make sure that the settings are within these limits, and I have been using KDE. I miss Fedora core but I am just to afraid to take the chance with my newly repaired monitor, and I was within the limits when I was using Fedora so I cant figure it out. Please if anyone finds some information about this please post it here or contact me by private message Thanks.

extendedping
31st October 2006, 05:01 PM
I seem to have "fixed" the issue, but unchecking the box in the screensaver section which says "lock screen when screensaver is active" and also by pulling both sliders all the way to the right (to never) under the preference - power management section. I am not sure if I needed to do both but I did these two things at the same time and now I am not locking. Of course I say "fixed" with a grain of salt as I now don't have a screensaver and my monitor and harddrives never get a rest....

whizzer
31st October 2006, 06:31 PM
I tried both the extendedping suggestions one at a time. Neither worked user preference resolution is over-ridden at boot-up time. Maybe someone will come up with a workable solution. Not all us have the new LCD monitors.

extendedping
31st October 2006, 06:40 PM
I tried both the extendedping suggestions one at a time. Neither worked user preference resolution is over-ridden at boot-up time. Maybe someone will come up with a workable solution. Not all us have the new LCD monitors.

my monitor is an old nec miltisync p1150 piece of crap...just to confirm you pulled both sliders under ac power all the way to the left and unchecked the activate screensaver when session is idle under screensaver....cause if this is what you did I am now scared I will start locking again if it did not work for you...thought I have been safe for a day now and I have rebooted....

extendedping
31st October 2006, 06:40 PM
oops thats sliders all the way to the fight not the left...

whizzer
1st November 2006, 03:17 AM
I think the answer is another thread. Edit and change xorg.conf, add "-75" to the screensize you use. The 75 is refresh rate you want. Will give a try later. Sounds like the answer.

whizzer
2nd November 2006, 05:01 AM
That didn't work either, all it did was disable that resolution choice. Back to squre 1. From the research over at Xorg, maximum screen resolution is chosen based on the monitor brand/model (combination of both vertical & horizontal rates). Still begs the question of overiding user preferences.

Whizzer

TNWestTex
2nd November 2006, 09:23 PM
google modeline

leigh123linux
2nd November 2006, 10:32 PM
There is no such thing as 32 bit graphics , before you all get on my case . windows calls it 32 bit, what it really is 24 bits + 8 redundant bits ( not in use) = 24 bit