PDA

View Full Version : Firefox, Flash and Mplayer

benwilson528
28th October 2006, 01:04 AM
Hey all,

I'm pretty much a novice with Linux, but after a couple of days of playing around installing FC5, I managed to get Firefox (1.5.0.6?) up and running. It was installed (automatically by yum) in /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.6.

I used 'yum install flash-plugin', which got Flash to run just fine within Firefox.

I used 'yum install mplayer' and 'yum install mplayerplug-in' to get Quicktime movies to play within Firefox.

So, all was well until Firefox told me it wanted to update. This would have been about the 22nd October, I guess. Obviously, I let it update, and then found, to my chagrin, that I could no longer access any webpages that required login via a form. That was pretty odd, but knowing that Firefox 2.0 was out in a couple of days, I decided to leave it, get the update then, and see if that resolved the problem.

Thing was, once version 2.0 was released, Firefox didn't prompt me to update it. Trying to update through yum was useless, as it simply claimed there was nothing to update to. So, I thought I'd just install version 2.0 from scratch, which I did, in /usr/lib/firefox-2.0. Running the shell-script 'firefox' in that directory allowed Firefox 2.0 to run just as expected, but neither the Flash plugin, nor Mplayer seemed to work any longer.

In an attempt to resolve this, I copied the files from the 'plugins' folder in the old Firefox directory into the new one, and sure enough, that brought Flash capability to 2.0. I could not though, for the life of me, work out how to get mplayer to work in 2.0.

So, basically, I'd like to know:

Is there a way to get Firefox 2.0 to install using yum?
Should a new installation of Firefox go in a new directory (i.e. /usr/lib/firefox-releaseversion), or should it overwrite the old directory, leaving only one Firefox directory?
How and where does the flash plugin install itself and can I get it to automatically cope with browser upgrades?
How and where does mplayer install itself and how do I make it work in Firefox 2.0?
Am I being a complete idiot and missing something really obvious here?

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Janl
28th October 2006, 03:55 AM
Firefox 2.0 will not install through YUM because it is not in any of the repositories because the FC developers do not plan to add it before Fedora Core 7. The plugins you are looking for are probably in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder. The central location in Fedora for all firefox plugins is in that folder. Copying the mplayer plugins from there to the plugins folder for your firefox 2 should resolve these issues.

tbox
28th October 2006, 01:33 PM
Just to share a similiar problem. I am on FC5. I could access and use most of the site with Firefox that came with FC5. This is especially for Yahoo mail where I could click on the select all box or link. It was all smooth.

When yum updated the firefox to 1.5.0.7 some sites didnt work and that included the Yahoo mail's select all box and link. So what can we do to fix this while waiting for firefox 2 for FC5?

Janl
28th October 2006, 03:04 PM
It has to do with 1.5.0.7 not supporting SSL sites. There is another package you need to have installed which corrects this problem but honestly I don't remember atm what that package was. You should be able to search the forums here for what you need.

benwilson528
29th October 2006, 03:25 PM
Many thanks for your reply. Found the plugin files and everything seems to be working fine now. Much appreciated!

dusenberg
20th February 2007, 06:05 PM
Firefox 2.0 will not install through YUM because it is not in any of the repositories because the FC developers do not plan to add it before Fedora Core 7. The plugins you are looking for are probably in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder. The central location in Fedora for all firefox plugins is in that folder. Copying the mplayer plugins from there to the plugins folder for your firefox 2 should resolve these issues.

I'm a newbie. Just installed ALL the codecs etc for Media via How-To page. But Firefox (v1) will not play eg google movies. If I copy movie location to MPlayer its ok. Where are Mplayer plugins located? Stuff like this is REAL PAIN when u haven't a clue :confused: !!!

Dies
20th February 2007, 06:14 PM

I'm pretty sure Firefox 2 is in the development repo, so it will install through yum, and there should also be a Firefox 2 rpm in the forum somewhere that installs alongside 1.5 without breaking anything although I'm not sure the link is good anymore, but searching the forum for Firefox2 should turn up a lot of info.

rik_cross
22nd February 2007, 02:46 PM
RE flash and mplayer, i used:

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Flash

dusenberg
22nd February 2007, 07:03 PM
RE flash and mplayer, i used:

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Flash

Thanks, looks a good source of info I'll check it out.

Anyone know how to identify a plugin - whats the file 'extension'....?

Cheers

Dies
22nd February 2007, 07:09 PM
Firefox plugins are usually .so or .xpt, if you're installing them into /usr/lib/mozilla then put the .so files in the plugins folder and the .xpt files into the components folder, if you're installing into your home directory then just put everything into ~/.mozilla/plugins.

dusenberg
23rd February 2007, 02:34 PM
Firefox plugins are usually .so or .xpt, if you're installing them into /usr/lib/mozilla then put the .so files in the plugins folder and the .xpt files into the components folder, if you're installing into your home directory then just put everything into ~/.mozilla/plugins.

Much appreciated Dies

dusenberg
23rd February 2007, 06:05 PM

...now that I created a components dir under mozilla things are a lot better, doh! :rolleyes: Thanks again