PDA

View Full Version : Error transferring install image. You are probably Out of Disk Space

gonzalo76
14th April 2004, 08:33 AM
Hi,

(I only want to share my experience)

I wanted to reinstall Fedora Core 1 on my hard disk, so, I boot from the Installation CD1, it detects my hardware, I can partition and format fine.
But when it comes to transfering the install image to the hard disk, it fails saying "Error transferring install image. You are probably Out of Disk Space".
What??? That's impossible, anyway I check the partitions once more:

/boot = 100 Mb
/ = 10240 Mb
/home = 2048 Mb
/swap = 1024 Mb

Everything was OK. So, what's the problem? I was a little confused. :confused:

I found in this forum section that another user had a similar problem here (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=832) that could be "something odd with the CD drive".

So, I looked at my CD drive, Fedora CD was inserted in the DVD ROM drive.

I have 2 CD ROM drives:
1. ASUS CD-RW 5224A (Burner)
2. PIONEER DVD-ROM 120

I always installed Fedora from my ASUS drive without any problems. But this time, I was trying to install Fedora from the DVD ROM, and this time, I was getting errors. Just coincidence?
Nop, it wasn't a coincidence, actually, my DVD drive was the problem. Finally, I could reinstall Fedora perfectly well, from my ASUS drive.

My DVD driver works fine under Fedora, I can see dvds, read cds, play music... so I don't know why I could not install Fedora from it.

Tips:

fedorauser2003 said:

"When the Fedora prompt is visible on the install, press F2, then at the prompt type:

linux mediacheck

This will show if any part of your computer is not compatible."

SkUnKmAsTeR said

When installing, before going into graphical mode turn on CD-ROM DMA mode by typing

'linux -allowcddma'

I did not probe these commands, but I'll do next time I'm in trouble.

Greetings
gonzalo