PDA

View Full Version : help me get to my box

jer_nord
27th October 2006, 05:10 PM
Hi All,
Im not sure if this is the right place to ask my question ..

Im trying to ssh (via PuTTY) to my FC5 box at home from behind a firewall. I think my access is being obscured by said firewall.

My goal is to open up a secure terminal connection on my FC machiene. Can anyone recomend what I should/could do to achieve this?

Thanks

JordanN
27th October 2006, 05:38 PM
Forward port 22 at the firewall to your server. Make sure that the server is set to allow access to port 22 (IPTables). Make sure that sshd is running on the server, via
service sshd status.

sn68
27th October 2006, 05:42 PM
First check if the default ssh port (22 ?) is open from where you are trying to access your fc5 box
Open port 22 on your fc5 box
If respective ports on both machine are open then
type following on your terminal
> ssh ip.of.fc5.box
should get you access of your fc5 box

jer_nord
27th October 2006, 05:45 PM
Hey
Thanks for the response ... I guess I wasnt clear in explaining my situation. ..
I am attempting to access my box from behind a firewall that I dont have control over. My firewall at home *I believe* is good to go.

Is it impossible to get to my machiene in this situation?

Thanks

jer_nord
27th October 2006, 05:46 PM
btw ..
sshd is running at home and port 22 is open on my home firewall...

pdb
27th October 2006, 06:14 PM
Are any ports open on the firewall that is blocking you? You could always run sshd on a different port if necessary to get around the firewall.

jer_nord
27th October 2006, 07:26 PM
Hi,
Im not sure. Im within a coperate network. How would I go about finding an open port?

JordanN
28th October 2006, 04:31 AM
Hi,
Im not sure. Im within a coperate network. How would I go about finding an open port?
Contact your IT Department.