PDA

View Full Version : Installing FC6 on Intel Macs.

TheProgrammer
27th October 2006, 02:04 PM
Hi,

On the Fedora project page, it lists Fedora on Intel Macs as one of the new features of FC6. I'm wondering if anyone can point me to the tutorial on how to install FC6 on Intel Macs?

Thanks.

Greywhind
28th October 2006, 12:51 AM
I've recently installed FC6 prerelease on my Intel iMac, and once you have the Mac partitioned it's not that hard. Here's the process I used:

1. First, you should backup your data if possible.
2. Download the Mac firmware updates if necessary from the Apple support website. (If Boot Camp fails, you should do this.)
3. Download and install Boot Camp from the Apple site.
4. Run Boot Camp, make a "Windows" partition of the size you'd like to use for your Linux install. Don't have it burn a driver CD.
5. Install rEFIt, a boot manager that allows you to choose an OS at boot.
6. Burn all the Fedora CD isos to CDs, or the DVD iso.
7. Put in the first Fedora CD and restart holding the C key.
8. Follow the graphical installation process.
9. Reboot, choose Linux from the rEFIt menu.
10. Finish the setup of the OS.

I hope that helps... if you need more detail, there are a few sites that give you more in-depth info on the partitioning, boot camp, and rEFIt sections of this guide.

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraOnMactel is the most specific to Fedora.

Also, sound will not work out of the box - I haven't had time to get it working on my install yet, so I can't really help you there.

If you want wireless and your Intel Mac has a Broadcom card, that will take some work too.

Also, 3D acceleration will require you to install the correct drivers for your machine - if it's ATI, the fglrx drivers are probably right. If NVidia, I don't know what you need.

Good luck - if you need more info, post below.

TheProgrammer
28th October 2006, 04:43 AM
4. Run Boot Camp, make a "Windows" partition of the size you'd like to use for your Linux install. Don't have it burn a driver CD.

5. Install rEFIt, a boot manager that allows you to choose an OS at boot.

Thanks for the reply.

4.) So, I let the Boot camp partition the hdd, will I be able to format it to ext2 while installing FC6?

5.) Do I have to install rEFIT boot manager? I know it will give a better interface, but is it possible to not install it?

Greywhind
28th October 2006, 05:54 AM
You will be able to correctly set up the partition that Bootcamp makes so that Fedora can install to it - when I installed Fedora, I had already tried to install Ubuntu beforehand, so it was already formatted for Linux - thus I could use Fedora's default, "erase linux partitions and install" option.

I'm not sure if that will work with just the standard Boot Camp partition - you might have to manually change the format in the Fedora installer rather than letting it auto-format the correct way. Even if you do, it shouldn't be that difficult.

I haven't tried installing Linux without rEFIt - although I think you can. You will have to hold down the option key on boot and navigate to the correct OS, which will probably be shown as "Unknown" or "Windows" or something. It's not hard to remove rEFIt if you don't like it - you can just drag the installed folder to the trash if you've used the default installer. I'd suggest using it.

Again, good luck.

maconlysource
4th November 2006, 03:23 PM
Which one did you use and where did you install it?

MBR, Root partition, etc.

Greywhind
4th November 2006, 05:08 PM
I used Grub, and it was installed correctly automatically by the FC6 installer. You don't have to do any manual configuration, unlike with Ubuntu.

EDIT: Sound does work out of the box on my iMac, but only through the headphone jack.

thugpoet22
5th November 2006, 02:15 AM
I installed fedora 6 on my macbook. I used bootcamp partitioned the drive. Then i rebooted with the install dvd in the drive. It installed perfectly. Grub is a poor bootloader when dual booting linux, so like the above post stated i had to hold down the option key, which i dont really mind. And for me sound worked out of the box but the wireless is what im having trouble with. Is there anbody here that figured out how to get wireless working? If so please post your procedure

Greywhind
5th November 2006, 02:19 AM
Do you have a Broadcom wireless card? An Atheros card? We can't help unless you tell us what card you have.

Try the command: lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation

If it shows anything, you have a Broadcom wireless card. If so, you should look up "ndiswrapper" and/or "bcm43xx".

thugpoet22
5th November 2006, 06:36 AM
Hey when i did that nothing popped up so im assuming that i dont have that card. I guess thats the type of card thats in the macbook pro but i have a macbook, is there a way to find out which card i have.