PDA

View Full Version : FC6 kernel 2.6.18-1.2798fc6 GSPCA driver problem;

mircobeaker
27th October 2006, 08:57 AM
Hello guys,
First of all congratulations to all those who took part in the current release of this FANTASTIC NEW VERSION OF FEDORA.
From graphics to bottom all is wonderfully tied together and perfectly functional.
The only problem I'm having once again with new release is in installing the driver for my webcam.
I have a Logitech Quickcam express that has worked perfectly with all versions of fedora using the spca/gspca driver up till now.
As per usual i followed the instructions in building a kernel module against the current kernel by installing the KERNEL-DEVEL package and then downloading the latest version of the driver in tar.gz form uncompressing it onto th e/home/user/gspca directory navigating to it and issueing the make command as per usual.
First error: make -C /lib/modules/'uname -r/build SUBDIRS=/home/mirco/gspcav1-200600925 CC=cc modules
make: **** Error 2 which to me means that the kernel-sources are not installed although the kernel-devel package was installed via yum.
I also tried the other alternative way of installing it as root issueing the following command in the same directory: ./gspca_build and got the message stating that no kernel soources were installed.

Am I missing something?
I tried installing the gspca driver via yum enabling the ATRPMS repo all went well but at the MODPROBE gspca command I got an error stating something about V4linux.
I also tried to install the kernel-src package doing rpm -Uvh but it won't install.
Can anybody help please.

Mirco

cristianox
29th October 2006, 12:58 AM
I'm facing the same problem. When I try to compile the driver, it returns the following error message after the "make all" command:
[root@localhost qc-usb-0.6.4]# make all
which: no depmod in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/cristiano/bin)
make -C "/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build" SUBDIRS="/home/cristiano/Downloads/qc-usb-0.6.4" modules V=1 USER_OPT=""
make[1]: Entrando no diretório `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-x86_64'
test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo; \
echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo " include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing."; \
echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo; \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /home/cristiano/Downloads/qc-usb-0.6.4/.tmp_versions
rm -f /home/cristiano/Downloads/qc-usb-0.6.4/.tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/home/cristiano/Downloads/qc-usb-0.6.4
.................................................. .................................................. ...................
The error messages continue, till it ends:
.................................................. .................................................. ...................
/home/cristiano/Downloads/qc-usb-0.6.4/qc-driver.c:3203: error: implicit declaration of function ‘video_unregister_device’
/home/cristiano/Downloads/qc-usb-0.6.4/qc-driver.c: In function ‘qc_usb_probe’:
/home/cristiano/Downloads/qc-usb-0.6.4/qc-driver.c:3269: error: ‘UTS_RELEASE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: ** [/home/cristiano/Downloads/qc-usb-0.6.4/qc-driver.o] Erro 1
make[1]: ** [_module_/home/cristiano/Downloads/qc-usb-0.6.4] Erro 2
make[1]: Saindo do diretório `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-x86_64'
make: ** [quickcam.ko] Erro 2
[root@localhost qc-usb-0.6.4]#

mircobeaker
29th October 2006, 10:14 AM
I totally agree with you and I don't seem to be able to find a solution for it and furthermore no one is wiiliing to help or she dlight onto this matter.
Sometrhing is changed in the kernel tree/configuration that doesn't allow building against it even with kernel-devel sources installed.

Let's just hope in a miracle.

Fingers crossed.

Mirco

mircobeaker
29th October 2006, 01:00 PM
re Installing fedora 6 from scratch already to try and see if I can change any pre-parameters initilally so that I can load the spca/gspca module later..

will post agian in a while

mirco

Iron_Mike
29th October 2006, 01:26 PM
I totally agree with you and I don't seem to be able to find a solution for it and furthermore no one is wiiliing to help or she dlight onto this matter.
Sometrhing is changed in the kernel tree/configuration that doesn't allow building against it even with kernel-devel sources installed.

Let's just hope in a miracle.

Fingers crossed.

Mirco

There was a error that was related to the gspca_core.c file, I can't remember what forum I saw the fix posted in but the fix was this as it does compile and work without error on my FC6 install. Make sure your have the kernel-devel and kernel-header packages installed.

With a text editor open up the gspca_core.c file and search for this line:

include <linux/version.h>

Now comment it out by putting a # in front like so:

#include <linux/version.h>

Save it and recompile

rvgeerligs
3rd November 2006, 10:37 AM
same problem here. no solution. might just move to free bsd

maladeus
3rd November 2006, 03:26 PM
Same problem here. I installed it from an rpm from freshrpm.

cristianox
3rd November 2006, 09:31 PM
Finally we have a light.... our friend Iron_Mike posted a possible solution for our problem.
I'll try his tip and post my results as soon as I can.

cristianox
4th November 2006, 02:18 PM
Unfortunatelly, it didn't work.... the tip posted reffers to de gspca driver and I had problems with de qc-usb.
Yes, I wrote I HAD PROBLEMS, 'cause now my cam is working perfectly and it is easy to do, so, come on:

1 - go to /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i586/include/linux/ and create a blank file called config.h
(without this blank file it realy didn't wrk here);

2 - go to /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i586 and run # make oldconfig && make
prepare;

3 - go to the folder where your qc-usb are and run the command $ make clean all

4 - run the script $./quickcam.sh

5 - enjoy your webcam

I hope this may help.

cristiano