PDA

View Full Version : menu.lst

CardsRF
27th October 2006, 01:53 AM
I changed and saved my menu.lst after installing the latest kernel update for FC5. Now both my menu.lst and grub.conf are empty files with no text. Fortunately, grub still works fine. Why did the text disappear in each file? And the latest kernel isn't booting either, I had to revert back to the previous kernel. Is anyone else having problems with 2200? BTW, the latest kernel didn't boot before I changed the menu.lst

Jman
27th October 2006, 07:39 AM
grub.conf is a link to menu.lst.

Possibly you saved an empty file. Or the kernel update grub.conf sript messed up.

You can try to boot rescue mode and update the kernel again to try and fix it. Or duplicate what the script does with the grubby command. Or manually edit grub.conf.

CardsRF
27th October 2006, 10:17 AM
I removed kernel 2200, reinstalled it, and it still freezes at the fedora logo screen while booting.

I would like to manually edit grub.conf by copying and pasting. Is this possible even though both the menu.lst and grub.conf
files have no text?

bob
27th October 2006, 12:36 PM
Can you get in by stopping the boot and using the 'e' key at a grub menu? That would at least get you in for that one boot if the grub menu still exists. If not, you can certainly use the Rescue CD and I believe the first install CD also has that capabiility. Once there, yes, edit the grub.conf to add the right boot info for your kernel. Save and then double-check to make sure it's really saved before exiting. You might also check to see if there's a 'grub.conf~' that still has the right info and use that to copy paste, etc.

CardsRF
27th October 2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks. I'm actually able to boot the previous kernel without any problem, so I'll try to correct the new kernel problem later.

My main concern for now is the grub.conf file. The following files are empty(no text):
menu.lst
menu.lst~
grub.conf
grub.conf~

Grub continues to work perfectly though, I just want to know where the grub info is stored so I can edit it if necessary?

bob
27th October 2006, 01:29 PM
Frankly, it shocks me that you're able to boot! I always thought that grub.conf was the key but you seem to prove that wrong.