PDA

View Full Version : Being hacked?/

tizwoz
26th October 2006, 10:20 PM
If I am, what software / protection can I use to prevent it?

Probably overreacting like :rolleyes:

A small blank popup comes up in firefox, when I close it shuts down the whole browser. Also small things like messenger program has started playing up recently, it never used it, don't understand why.

Is there any virus scanner for linux????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yes, I do know someone who would think it 'fun' to hack me :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

Firewing1
26th October 2006, 10:25 PM
clamav is a pretty nice virus scanner for Linux, and as for the hacking I'd try using tools like chrootkit and rkhunter to check for rootkits.
Firewing1

nightcrawler
26th October 2006, 10:59 PM
The easiest way to pervent it is never to login as root directly or run web browser as root. Only su to root when required. This ensure what ever process that's you are running don't have any permission to demage your sytem files.

tizwoz
26th October 2006, 11:03 PM
The easiest way to pervent it is never to login as root directly or run web browser as root. Only su to root when required. This ensure what ever process that's you are running don't have any permission to demage your sytem files.

Everything I do as user unless it requires root permissions :)

Cheers Firewing1. I installed and run both clamav and rkhunter, didn't return with anything, all seemed ok, that's reassuring!!!! :D :D :D

pete_1967
26th October 2006, 11:31 PM
Rootkit hunters (rkhunter and chkrootkit for example) are pretty much useless to install and use _after_ your system has been compromised as the intruder has most probably already modified/ replaced all critical files from /bin to your system's logs and probably has also installed scripts that detect and modify all security program binaries and their output when they are installed.

Firewing1
26th October 2006, 11:42 PM
That's true - It's another reason to format install to FC6 :p
Firewing1