PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring the CPU's Temperature

Reisswolf
26th October 2006, 11:00 AM
Hi,

I am (still) using Fedora Core 5. In GNOME what is the best way to monitor the temperature of the CPU?

Thanks in advance for your help.

funknor
26th October 2006, 11:22 AM
I am using the Sensor Applet, its pretty cool, it puts the temparature on the menu bar.

Reisswolf
26th October 2006, 11:56 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I have downloaded lm_sensors-2.10.1.tar.gz and installed it. (According to the documentation I do not need the i2c packages since my kernel version is 2.6.)

But "Add to Panel" still does not bring up "Sensors" or anything. When I try to run "sensors" from the command line, I get the following error:

Can't access procfs/sysfs file
Kernel interface access error
For 2.6 kernels, make sure you have mounted sysfs and libsensors
was compiled with sysfs support!

But when I try to mount sysfs, mtab tells me that it is already mounted. How do I ensure that libsensors was compiled with sysfs support?

Thanks in advance for your help.

tomoir_III
20th January 2007, 11:19 PM
There could have been some sort of error in compiling and installing the tarball. Try this:

yum install gnome-applet-sensors

BTW, awesome applet. Thanks, Funknor.

sebnukem
20th January 2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the Sensor Applet tip. It is cool indeed.

GeMahn
21st January 2007, 12:12 AM
If you interested in another cool program all together check out gkrellm. It can give sensors warnings and can display files system space and also has real cool themes too while sitting in a corner on your desktop.
try this
yum install -y gkrellm gkrellm-themes

Hlingler
30th January 2007, 02:00 PM
Here's another:
http://computertemp.berlios.de/index.php

And Reisswolf: if you haven't got sensors running yet, I believe it's because you must run "sensors-detect" before they will work.

krige
12th March 2007, 12:43 PM
I have installed gnome-applet-sensors through yum: how do I run it?
It does not appear in any menu, nor running it from terminal works.

Hlingler
12th March 2007, 03:31 PM
You right-click on any panel and select "Add to Panel" from the context menu that appears. You'll get a window that lists all available applets (there may be many). The sensors applet is not necessarily called "gnome-sensors-applet", but it should be easy to identify it in the list. After you add it, right-click on it in the panel and select set-up to set your preferences.

Vince

P.S. It only works in GNOME, of course.

krige
12th March 2007, 03:37 PM
You right-click on any panel and select "Add to Panel" from the context menu that appears. You'll get a window that lists all available applets (there may be many). The sensors applet is not necessarily called "gnome-sensors-applet", but it should be easy to identify it in the list. After you add it, right-click on it in the panel and select set-up to set your preferences.

Thanks. I have found an entry called "Hardware Sensors Monitor" and added it to the top panel: it displays the message "No sensors found!" and when I right click there is no "set-up" entry, just "Remove from Panel", "Move" and "Lock to Panel".

Hlingler
12th March 2007, 10:56 PM
Do you have the lm_sensors daemon running? As root user, type at the command line: service lm_sensors restart . That should provide the data for the applet - give it a few minutes to update, maybe 10-15 minutes. Hope that does it. If that doesn't work, we'll have to try something else.

krige
13th March 2007, 11:48 AM
Do you have the lm_sensors daemon running? As root user, type at the command line: service lm_sensors restart . That should provide the data for the applet - give it a few minutes to update, maybe 10-15 minutes. Hope that does it. If that doesn't work, we'll have to try something else.

Yes, I had them running. Anyway I did what you suggested and waited half an hour but nothing changed (No sensors found). I am afraid I might not have installed it properly, since no set-up entry appears right clicking on it. I just did: yum install gnome-applet-sensors

JonC
13th March 2007, 12:08 PM
if you are using lm_sensors you need to run sensors-detect and follow the instructions

Hlingler
13th March 2007, 06:32 PM
Righty-O, JonC. That slipped my mind. See Post #7 above, krige.

krige
13th March 2007, 11:32 PM
Thank you guys. I didn't pass up post #7 but for some reason sensors-detect didn't work the first time I tried it. Anyway I did it now again and in the end, after a few passages, it told me:

To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
/etc/modprobe.conf:

#----cut here----
# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
#----cut here----

To load everything that is needed, add this to some /etc/rc* file:

#----cut here----
# I2C adapter drivers
modprobe i2c-nforce2
# Chip drivers
modprobe eeprom
modprobe it87
# sleep 2 # optional
/usr/bin/sensors -s # recommended
#----cut here----

I did both things and added the last ones to /etc/rc.local
I logged out and in back at once and the temperatures magically appeared on the top bar! :D It reports 3 temperatures: MB, CPU and temp3 (34C,31C,58C). CPU and temp3 (whatever it is) have been switched by mistake, that is what is reported as temp3 should be the CPU, so I switched their names in the preferences. I wonder what's the temp3 for...

lazlow
14th March 2007, 12:04 AM
On some motherboard its for the chipset (northbirdge?)

krige
14th March 2007, 12:48 AM
On some motherboard its for the chipset (northbirdge?)

What would be the motherboard temperature for then?

lazlow
14th March 2007, 01:02 AM
On my Asus, if I remember correctly, I have three sensors a cpu, northbridge and motherboard. The motherboard sensor is there more or less as a case temperature. It is to give you a relative idea of how cool things are. If your northbridge is 40 and your mothboard is 38, then there probably is nothing wrong with your northbridge cooling (your case probably would need another fan in this instance). If you northbirdge is 50 and your motherboard is 27, this would indicate a problem with your northbridge cooling. Same things apply with cpu cooling relative to motherboard sensor.

Lazlow

mndar
14th March 2007, 06:32 AM
If you want to check the temperature from the console, install cpuspeedy and use the command

cpuspeedy -s

lazlow
14th March 2007, 06:49 AM
Or just type "sensors" (assuming one has installed lm_sensors as above).

Lazlow