PDA

View Full Version : Few questions/probs about FC6

aero-z
26th October 2006, 09:14 AM
Hello,

so after installations I found few things. First, do you also miss the splash screen after login - it loads the desktop pretty fast so that's maybe the splash isn't seen.
Second, does screen lock dialog box have to be gnome default or this is still not working?
Third, I'm unable to activate the cool screen effects, but I think that's because I don't get my ATI drivers to work.
Fourth, I'm unable to get ATI to work. I installed the kmod-fglrx and the xorg-fglrx packages from Livna. I noticed that xorg.conf wasn't updated and glxinfo still shows me mesa after changing driver from "radeon" to "fglrx". But in overall the fglrx seems kind of broken or I don't know.
Fifth, I'm unable to install acer_acpi so I could get my wireless to work. I get this:

$ make
gcc -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -c -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -DMODVERSIONS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -o acer_acpi.o acer_acpi.c
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/asm/thread_info.h:16,
from /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/thread_info.h:21,
from /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/preempt.h:9,
from /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/spinlock.h:49,
from /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/capability.h:45,
from /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/sched.h:44,
from /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/module.h:9,
from acer_acpi.c:41:
/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/asm/processor.h:80: error: ‘CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT’ undeclared here (not in a function)
/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/asm/processor.h:80: error: requested alignment is not a constant
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/sched.h:49,
from /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/module.h:9,
from acer_acpi.c:41:
/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/jiffies.h:33:3: error: #error You lose.
/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build/include/linux/jiffies.h:210:31: error: division by zero in #if
[I DELETED SOME /lib/modules TEXT FROM HERE DUE THE POSTING LIMIT]
acpi_device’ declared inside parameter list
acer_acpi.c: In function ‘acpi_acerkeys_add’:
acer_acpi.c:338: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
acer_acpi.c:339: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘acpi_device_name’
acer_acpi.c:339: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘strcpy’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
acer_acpi.c:340: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘acpi_device_class’
acer_acpi.c:340: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘strcpy’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
acer_acpi.c:341: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘acpi_driver_data’
acer_acpi.c:341: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
acer_acpi.c: At top level:
acer_acpi.c:370: error: variable ‘acpi_acerkeys’ has initializer but incomplete type
acer_acpi.c:371: error: unknown field ‘name’ specified in initializer
acer_acpi.c:371: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
acer_acpi.c:371: warning: (near initialization for ‘acpi_acerkeys’)
acer_acpi.c:372: error: unknown field ‘class’ specified in initializer
acer_acpi.c:372: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
acer_acpi.c:372: warning: (near initialization for ‘acpi_acerkeys’)
acer_acpi.c:373: error: unknown field ‘ids’ specified in initializer
acer_acpi.c:373: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
acer_acpi.c:373: warning: (near initialization for ‘acpi_acerkeys’)
acer_acpi.c:374: error: unknown field ‘ops’ specified in initializer
acer_acpi.c:374: error: extra brace group at end of initializer
acer_acpi.c:374: error: (near initialization for ‘acpi_acerkeys’)
acer_acpi.c:377: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
acer_acpi.c:377: warning: (near initialization for ‘acpi_acerkeys’)
acer_acpi.c: In function ‘acer_acpi_init’:
acer_acpi.c:387: error: ‘acpi_disabled’ undeclared (first use in this function)
acer_acpi.c:405: error: ‘acpi_root_dir’ undeclared (first use in this function)
acer_acpi.c:416: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘acpi_bus_register_driver’
acer_acpi.c: In function ‘acer_acpi_exit’:
acer_acpi.c:432: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘acpi_bus_unregister_driver’
make: *** [acer_acpi.o] Error 1
Does anybody know how to fix my problems?

Wishartz
26th October 2006, 09:56 AM
I'm suffering with exactly the same problems with my Acer Aspire 5024, the fglrx doesn't work and cannot compile acer_acpi. I got further with acer_acpi when I used the following command, maybe it will work for you. Give it a try.

sudo make acer_acpi.ko

instead

of just

make

aero-z
26th October 2006, 11:38 AM
I'm suffering with exactly the same problems with my Acer Aspire 5024, the fglrx doesn't work and cannot compile acer_acpi. I got further with acer_acpi when I used the following command, maybe it will work for you. Give it a try.

sudo make acer_acpi.ko

instead

of just

make
Thanks for the tip. I also got it installed but I'm unable to modprobe acer_acpi. It says the module not found. Where should I manually copy acer_acpi.ko in FC6?

Wishartz
26th October 2006, 12:26 PM
Try copying the acer_acpi.ko into /lib/modules/<kernelversion>/kernel/driver/char/ and then a depmod -a

Wishartz
26th October 2006, 02:37 PM
Did that work aero-z?

n3Ro
8th November 2006, 12:10 AM
Hi,
I also have a Acer Aspire 5024 and i already got the fglrx drivers working:
- install livna packages
- then run (maybe it isnt needed):
aticonfig --initial
ati-fglrx-config-display enable
- after that alter your xorg.conf:
- add the following section
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
- and add the following line in your "modules" section
Load "extmod"

After that my X server worked with FGLRX, direct rendering on and my RADEON as openGL renderer.

Iron_Mike
8th November 2006, 02:13 AM
If you installed the fglrx drivers either from Livna or the ATI site, desktop effects will not work. You will need to install XGL to have desktop effects. Also if the Livna or ATI drivers do not work moot point to install XGL. Remove the Livna drivers, change back to "radeon" drivers and enable desktop effects

n3Ro
8th November 2006, 07:42 AM
But not for the Acpire 5024 Notebook. It has a Mobility Radeon X700, and this chip is not supported by the radoen drivers. This driver only gives you a black or damaged looking screen. And you're right, desktop effects wont work with fglrx. But the rest of the graphic things :)

Grinnz
16th November 2006, 05:00 AM
Hi,
I also have a Acer Aspire 5024 and i already got the fglrx drivers working:
- install livna packages
- then run (maybe it isnt needed):
aticonfig --initial
- after that alter your xorg.conf:
- add the following section
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
- and add the following line in your "modules" section
Load "extmod"

After that my X server worked with FGLRX, direct rendering on and my RADEON as openGL renderer.

THANK YOU!!!!
I've been searching all over how to get this to work; I did everything you listed except the line:
Soon as I ran that line, the ati-fglrx info showed the correct driver. Now to get on with 3D applications