PDA

View Full Version : need help with FC6

iamroot
26th October 2006, 07:35 AM
I just installed the kmod-nvidia driver and a couple of other programs through Yum and they all installed fine. However when I restarted the computer, the loading screen and GDM don't appear. After all the ACPI messages and all that, all I get is a black screen. I can't even get into the command-line by pressing ctrl-alt-f1. Can anyone help?

BandC
26th October 2006, 08:22 PM
I had the same problem last night. I had selected Xen during installation so I got the Xen kernel. Since I have the Xen kernel I tried installing kmod-nvidia-xen which installed fine but I got the black screen you described after reboot. I fixed it by going into the rescue mode with the installation CD and removing kmod-nvidia-xen. I haven't tried installing regular kmod-nvidia yet.

Have you made any progress? Has anyone else had the same problem and figured out a solution?

iamroot
27th October 2006, 01:44 AM
I had the same problem last night. I had selected Xen during installation so I got the Xen kernel. Since I have the Xen kernel I tried installing kmod-nvidia-xen which installed fine but I got the black screen you described after reboot. I fixed it by going into the rescue mode with the installation CD and removing kmod-nvidia-xen. I haven't tried installing regular kmod-nvidia yet.

Have you made any progress? Has anyone else had the same problem and figured out a solution?

I went into the rescue mode to change to init 3 and then installed the standard kernel with the beta nvidia drivers. Now things are working fine and I have AIGLX enabled.