PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Reader 7.(something) not functioning in FC6

steve941
26th October 2006, 02:59 AM
I tried installing the latest Adobe reader for linux from their site and it seems to install fine, but it doesn't work
it won't run from gnome menu and if i do acroread on terminal it goes into infinite loop something about "invalid symbols <something>" and keeps printing that
i removed it, but if the error is important, ill reinstall and get exact error
anyone else having difficulties, or hopefully have a solution
ive tried removing it and installing with system-config-packages and rpm -ivh
both yeild the same.

mwette
26th October 2006, 03:34 AM
I get problems also. I'm trying to chase it down.
If you do the following you will see more:

$ sh -x /usr/bin/acroread

mwette
26th October 2006, 03:48 AM
I found a problem. When the following fix is applied to /opt/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread
acroread will start up. It looks like they are looking for gtk-x11 library of the form
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.d00.d (where d is a digit), but FC6 has
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1000.4 so the match fails. I changed to allow first "d" to
be multiple d's.

# diff -c acroread- acroread
*** acroread- Wed Oct 25 19:45:26 2006
--- acroread Wed Oct 25 19:45:32 2006
*** 415,421 ****
return 1
fi

! echo $mfile| sed 's/libgtk-x11-\([0-9]*\).0.so.0.\([0-9]\)00.\([0-9]*\)\|\(.*\)/\1\2\3/g'
return 0
fi

--- 415,421 ----
return 1
fi

! echo $mfile| sed 's/libgtk-x11-\([0-9]*\).0.so.0.\([0-9]*\)00.\([0-9]*\)\|\(.*\)/\1\2\3/g'
return 0
fi

Iron_Mike
26th October 2006, 04:26 AM
I tried installing the latest Adobe reader for linux from their site and it seems to install fine, but it doesn't work
it won't run from gnome menu and if i do acroread on terminal it goes into infinite loop something about "invalid symbols <something>" and keeps printing that
both yeild the same.

I just installed it today, check out mjmwired.net and go from there, works fine

Iron_Mike
26th October 2006, 04:27 AM
both yeild the same.

I just installed it today, check out mjmwired.net and click on the FC6 install notes, go from there, works fine

jaa
29th October 2006, 06:37 PM
They try to encode the revision number 2.m.n into4 digits 2xxx. This can't work when both m and n are be 2-digit numbers. Probably the best thing to do is to insert ``return 0'' right after the if test on LD_LIBRARY_PATH in check_gtk_ver_and_set_lib_path() of /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread, bypassing the revision number verification and letting Adobe fix this in their next Linux release.