PDA

View Full Version : KDE 3.2 Released

Ug
3rd February 2004, 01:43 PM
KDE 3.2 has just been released, and I was wondering if anyone's upgraded yet? I download the 3.2 RC 1, rpm's the other day and haven't got round to trying it out as yet and i'm not sure if i can be bothered to download the 3.2 again.

Anyone had any issues etc with it?

3rd February 2004, 04:44 PM
i got it to run but kicker keep giving me some problem on resizing, anyone else have a problemw ith kicker?

3rd February 2004, 06:20 PM
I'm just about to install now, so I'll let you know how it goes.

spacemonkey
24th February 2004, 04:14 PM
Installed the RedHat-supplied RPMs for 3.2, and everything seems to work. Huzzah!

My problem is that after I switch desktops, it takes several agonizing seconds (4 - 6) before the screen draw is complete, during which the mouse freezes.

Anyone else out there experiencing this problem, or is it just me? (nervous grin)

rdieter
24th February 2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by spacemonkey
Installed the RedHat-supplied RPMs for 3.2, and everything seems to work. Huzzah!

My problem is that after I switch desktops, it takes several agonizing seconds (4 - 6) before the screen draw is complete, during which the mouse freezes.

I don't see that, but I'm using the packages from http://kde-redhat.sf.net/.

I also remember reading about screen/keyboard responsiveness under kde-3.2 improving greatly with the latest kernel update (2.4.22-1.2174.nptl) I believe.

spacemonkey
24th February 2004, 04:34 PM
Hey Rex, you are everywhere :D

I'll play on my workstation here, before mucking about at the server farm...

rdieter
24th February 2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by spacemonkey

The wait after switching desktops went from 5-6 seconds down to 3 seconds, but it is a visible delay over gnome on the exact same machine

Where else can I look to find out why it takes so long to refresh the screen (and freeing up the mouse) after switching desktops? :confused:

2 things:
1. Do you have background images for each desktop? I had mine setup that way, and saw a noticable delay switching because I was using different high-res jpgs for each

2. I've also seen weird pauses like that on a few systems of ours that had USB mice. (Usually older systems though).

-- Rex

spacemonkey
24th February 2004, 06:53 PM
Rex, you solved the mystery: it was the desktop background, although the same on all desktops...

The bizarre thing is this: when I use 'Night Rock by Tigert' then the switches are faster than using the Elliptic gradient!!!

So in the migration from RH9 to FC1 did I lose my X settings? Sheesh, now I gotta dig back into the X stuff again :mad:

Thanks for the help Rex!

spacemonkey
24th February 2004, 08:54 PM
Totally unrelated to KDE, is the fact that FC1 ships with a somewhat lobotomized X, I started searching through the various apt repositories and found nvidia drivers (and related kernel modules). Install, reboot, have super-fast X!

Everything is fine now. Thanks Rex for nudging me in the right direction!

Ug
25th February 2004, 10:55 AM
Thats due to the licensing issues that RedHat has, is the "lobotomisation" of X as you so eloquently put it. Its this very same issue which prevents RedHat from allowing mp3 support out of the box.