PDA

View Full Version : creative progams for Linux

alkaline
11th April 2004, 01:11 AM
I am very interested in using Linux and have run a couple of old distros on my pc before. I am a student at an art institute now and I rely heavily on photoshop, illustrator, flash, and dreamweaver. Is there software available for linux yet that would be up to par and would be worth making the switch?

crackers
11th April 2004, 03:54 AM
To be honest, the answer is "not quite." While there are many capable OSS programs that work in those areas, they're not quite on par with something that multi-million dollar corporations bank on and produce.

From what I know, GIMP is pretty close in matching raw power with Photoshop, although some of the tools are not quite as sophisticated.

However, you can run at least Photoshop (that I know of) with a (commerical) program called "CrossOver Office" from CodeWeavers. It may hiccup and do a couple of interesting things, but you won't have to reboot Linux when it does. :D

alkaline
11th April 2004, 08:08 AM
thanks for the feedback, I didn't think that open source was quite where the commercial software is, but I wasn't sure

Ug
11th April 2004, 08:15 AM
GIMP is better than photoshop in my mind, and i've used both extensively.

As for Flash you will like crackers say have to use a windows program in order to do it. No other program is better at Flash than Macromedia Flash and there's no disputing it.

In terms of WYSIWYG HTML editors, they're not very popular in the Linux world. With most people preferring to "get down and dirty with code", but the leading editors are Bluefish and Quanta. (I think Quanta may have some WYSIWYG support thesedays).

HTH

Finalzone
11th April 2004, 09:32 AM
Quanta definitevely supports WYSIWYG. Personaly, I prefer to use seperate browser to preview the webpage.

colm
11th April 2004, 10:06 AM
Mozilla Nvu is nowhere near dreamweaver, but it is leaps and bounds ahead of microsoft front page.

alkaline
11th April 2004, 10:46 AM
is the windows clone stuff good enough to be able to use without a ton of hangups?

Ug
11th April 2004, 11:26 AM
Hangups? What hangups?

crackers
11th April 2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by alkaline
is the windows clone stuff good enough to be able to use without a ton of hangups?

If by "clone" you're talking about Wine/CrossOver, then the answer is definitely "yes." That's one big advantage of Linux over Windows - if a program decides to go nuts, you have a 95+% chance that it will not take the rest of the operating system with it. (The only time I've run into a "must-reboot" situation was when the 3D graphics driver went south on me.)

If you're asking if the above programs will run all Windows programs natively on Linux, then the answer is "no." Wine is a reverse-engineering project and therefore does not contain all the necessary hooks that some Windows programs expect. What they do have and run is pretty durn impressive given the task they've undertaken.

alkaline
11th April 2004, 07:51 PM
does gimp have vector support?

Ug
11th April 2004, 10:12 PM
Yes it does, well GIMP 2 I know, does anyway. You can try out GIMP 1.2 for windows, by downloading it off their homepage.

http://www.gimp.org

alkaline
12th April 2004, 03:01 AM
this may seem lame, but all of the latest design programs (adobe and macromedia) are available on mac, and mac os x is unix based, wouldn't a port over to linux be easy?

crackers
12th April 2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by alkaline
this may seem lame, but all of the latest design programs (adobe and macromedia) are available on mac, and mac os x is unix based, wouldn't a port over to linux be easy?

Uh, no, not exactly. The system under Mac OSX is BSD, but the GUI engine is something altogether different. That's one of the reasons why you can't take, say, a Windows program and just port it to Linux or Mac - the expected system libraries and GUI libraries just ain't there.

alkaline
12th April 2004, 05:14 AM
my bad, sorry for my foolishness, I guess it was wishful thinking

Ug
12th April 2004, 07:23 AM
The best platform for Web Development and Graphics is certainly the Mac though. There's no disputing it - I may be a Linux advocate but that is one area where macs win hand down.

If that sort of thing is your primary use of your computer then I'd go out and get a Mac. You won't regret it.

roadwarrior
15th April 2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Ug
If that sort of thing is your primary use of your computer then I'd go out and get a Mac. You won't regret it.

And don't forget, if you DO get a Mac, you can always dual-boot OS X and Linux.

Ug
15th April 2004, 11:52 AM
Best of both worlds. The downside is that Macs are more expensive of course. But they excel in that department by miles. I wouldn't be recommending it if it wasn't true.

theurge
11th May 2004, 10:02 AM
Ug, I wish I had your patience in using GIMP. I guess I'm too dependent on Photoshop.

I won't deny the Macs do look great with Flash and Dreamweaver, but I still after all these years not gotten used to the funky one button mouse and the "command" and "option" keys. Ugh. And don't get me started on how much they cost compared to how cheaply I can build a comparitive PC.

Codeweaver added Dreamweaver MX and Flash MX support last October.

I've heard rumors of Macromedia planning on future Dreamweaver and Flash for Linux versions. Who knows.

Ug
11th May 2004, 11:28 AM
I was "dependent" on Photoshop too, but then before that i was "dependent" on Paint Shop Pro. I've been "dependent" on MS Office as well but I use OO.org now.

Dependency is a mind set - and it really isn't that hard to switch between Photoshop and GIMP once you've spent some time actually using the program. GIMP 2 is especially good.

postlogic
26th May 2004, 08:42 AM
seeing as most graphics in, take GNOME, for example, are made in GIMP, you'll soon see it's potential.

granted, it's not that good for image manipulation, but for DTP and web design, it's pretty much in the league of photoshop. and I've been a long time user of photoshop, but have come to see the potential in gimp lately.
especially with the new vector tools (comparable to paths in photoshop), it's becoming a very good tool.

since I've been into design for the last few years, I've been focused at programs dealing with this in both linux and windows. therefore, I've been testing a lot of programs for linux in this category.
so, IMHO, the programs for linux best suited for design are:
3D: blender (http://www.blender.org/)
2D/manip: the gimp2 (http://www.gimp.org/)
web: quanta (http://quanta.sourceforge.net/)
DTP: scribus (http://www.scribus.net/)

Scribus has a somewhat unusual GUI, but if you read the review of it at madpenguin, you'll find a couple of good resources.

hopefully, that should make you like linux even more. good luck :)

Edit: just remembered. if you own a Maya license, you are entitled to download Maya for linux, too. and discreet 3dsmax is being ported to linux I hear.
not to mention, wings3d is a great tool for modeling. http://www.wings3d.com/

Ug
26th May 2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by postlogic
Scribus has a somewhat unusual GUI, but if you read the review of it at madpenguin, you'll find a couple of good resources. Enjoy my review did you?

postlogic
27th May 2004, 09:14 AM
Ug: I sure did :) well written. actually your description of the user interface at first made me consider dropping it, right before you started on the pros, but then I looked on and saw the features. It's a _great_ piece of software.

Ug
27th May 2004, 03:11 PM
It is a good piece of software, but like I said the user interface really isn't that good.

Funnily enough though, 3 days after my review - the CVS version of scribus featured the "Print Preview" feature under the "File" menu instead of "Extras". ;)

sailor
27th May 2004, 05:18 PM
speaking of Gimp ..is there a way to rotate images to a arbitrary degree?....it allows 90 and 180 degree rotation but not inbetween....i needed this the other day....

postlogic
27th May 2004, 08:17 PM
there is a "transform" option under one of the menus. I don't remember which one right now. :P

sailor
28th May 2004, 03:47 AM
thanks psotlogic,,,,I found it....Gimp has "Transform" under image menu
and also in layers menu...the one in layers menu has the arbitrary rotation....
thanks again ....