PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer Firefox from Fedora or Mozilla?

BandC
25th October 2006, 08:24 PM
Firefox 2.0 is now available. One day after FC6 was out the Firefox that came with it is obsolete. I don't know if this is true but I read in a couple of places that Firefox 2.0 won't be available through official Fedora channels until FC7.

This brings the question: Which Firefox source do you prefer? Fedora or Mozilla? It seems that the binaries provided on Mozilla web site are easy to install, uninstall (you just delete the Firefox folder), and upgrade (delete and reinstall).

Are there any good reasons for me to hang onto the Firefox that came with FC6? If I uninstalled it with yum, would this cause any problems? I saw that a couple of people posted rpms for Firefox 2.0. Is there a real advantage of using the rpms versus binaries from Mozilla? Normally, I always prefer rpms over binaries but in this case the binary installs in a single folder and is easy to uninstall. Maybe I'm missing some hidden optimizations they did for FC6 Firefox.

Your thoughts?

Jman
26th October 2006, 03:45 AM
I've typically just yum installed firefox for convenience.

I like going the rpm route so that as much stuff installed as possible is managed in one place. rpms also get build optomizations like the linking speedups of FC6.

yum removing it shouldn't cause too much of a problem. Things may expect firefox to be on the path, however, so be aware of that.

Jongi
2nd November 2006, 11:47 AM
Does the remi repo have Firefox 2 for FC6? And why would they not provide FF till FC7?

ZuLuuuuuu
2nd November 2006, 12:11 PM
They won't provide FF2? I just came to the forums because I saw updates today and it is downloading still a 1.5.0.7 update! I tried to install FF2 from Mozilla but I couldn't manage it. Just removing the installed Firefox and then installing the binaries caused me to live without browser until I install Epiphany to look for solutions.

I installed FF2 on my Windows and it is pretty good and comes with a lot of good features, I think. Why fedora haven't upgraded into it yet? And if that is true, why aren't they thinking of including it until FC7?!?