PDA

View Full Version : FC6 incredibly slow :|

code_astronomer
25th October 2006, 07:40 PM
Hi all,

upgraded my pc to FC6 but then decided to do a clean install...now I wish I had left it as it was because its now running incredibly slowly!

The nVidia logo screen stays for around 15-20 seconds...then when I reached the login screen and I enter my username and password, it takes 20 seconds and then the screen goes black...40 seconds later the gnome panels appear and another 20 seconds later the background shows up. (I have timed this).

It also takes a long time for my home folder to load (nothing in it either apart from default Desktop folder!)...and opening a terminal from application->accessories also takes a long time...

this is seriously not normal...

yum says there are no more updates either.
I was wondering about the smp kernel because I used to have one, but read in the release notes that there is no longer an smp kernel...(the default kernel handles it all).

Has anyone else had problems like this? or know anything I can do to fix this very annoying problem.

Seve
25th October 2006, 07:48 PM
Hello:
The easy answer first, there is no longer a separate kernel for smp .. so not to worry.

I had experienced the same slowness and I wish I could remember what exactly I did to fix it. My memory really is beginning to suck :eek:

Try this first and if I can recall any other things I did I will post them.
add the following line to your /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

if it is not there already and reboot and see if that helps.

Update:
I also had made a goofy entry to my xorg.conf file , which was made by mistake when invoking the nvidia driver.

Seve

code_astronomer
25th October 2006, 08:07 PM
hi there Seve,

Thanks for the reply...unfortunately, I'm still running incredibly slowly :( I checked the hosts file and added the localhost aliases as you suggested...
perhaps I've done something to my xorg.conf file too :|

EDIT:
I seem to be running normal speed now, although last time I tried to log out, it took a long time! maybe its normal again now...will try in a bit.

Need to work out why I can't start the desktop effects now...

Seve
25th October 2006, 08:11 PM
Hello Code:
I am sorry I cannot recall the details of what I did?
If you did make some changes to your xorg.conf file then I would put it back the way it was and see if that helps?
I can post what my xorg.conf file is if need be

Seve

code_astronomer
25th October 2006, 08:25 PM
hi Seve...would it be possible to post your xorg.conf? I think that might help me out if I compare mine with someone who has a working version.

Seve
25th October 2006, 08:33 PM
Hello:
Here it is .. hope it helps :)

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "Dell 2405FPW (Digital)"
HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
Modes "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Update;
You may also want to have a look at this post #5
http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127945

Seve

code_astronomer
25th October 2006, 09:37 PM
seems to have fixed the slow speed I got when logging in...but logging out still takes an incredibly long time :|
and I still can't get Desktop Effects working :(

Seve
25th October 2006, 10:32 PM
Hello:
I just updated my xorg.conf file by installing the latest kmod-nvidia from livna and posted the results above. I haven't changed anything, although I am not sure it is still correct?
You may want to have a look at the default services you have running. Perhaps there are few issues there?

Seve

code_astronomer
25th October 2006, 11:17 PM
Hi Seve

It seems to have sorted itself out...:)
Logout seems fine now. Don't know what happened to be honest...I did however copy some config files from my old FC5 installation which may or may not have had anything to do with it...very confusing.
I did get very stuck with gnome sessions at one point...but thats finally fixed now too :)

Still no desktop effects, but at least I can log in and out normally now ;)
Thanks for your help :)

b00st
26th October 2006, 05:14 PM
I'm starting to get this problem on my laptop. Had it briefly with my desktop as well. I'm wondering what's up with that?

code_astronomer
26th October 2006, 05:47 PM
I still haven't worked out how to sort it...it basically came back.
I get a horrible error. something along the lines of: There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
and it says something about themes and backgrounds!

stopped doing it now...but Im frightened to reboot incase it happens yet again!

b00st
26th October 2006, 06:00 PM
I had to install kde just to get something usable(even then it's slow), gnome right now is a dead duck. I'm going to do a fresh reinstall. :/

code_astronomer
26th October 2006, 06:15 PM
I might have to leave gnome and go to xfce.
gnome has been bugging me for a while now. There seems to be some serious session problems.

Kelsin
26th October 2006, 07:35 PM
I had horrible slowdown on my laptop at one point. I had accidently turned off the network startup script. This cause the lo interface to not be initialized which screws over gnome heavily. Make sure that if you don't need the network script to disable any network cards but still initialize the local loopback interface.

maladeus
10th November 2006, 10:27 AM
Hi all,

upgraded my pc to FC6 but then decided to do a clean install...now I wish I had left it as it was because its now running incredibly slowly!

The nVidia logo screen stays for around 15-20 seconds...then when I reached the login screen and I enter my username and password, it takes 20 seconds and then the screen goes black...40 seconds later the gnome panels appear and another 20 seconds later the background shows up. (I have timed this).

It also takes a long time for my home folder to load (nothing in it either apart from default Desktop folder!)...and opening a terminal from application->accessories also takes a long time...

this is seriously not normal...

I'm having the same problem on an update install from fc5. Sometimes it boots in record time, sometimes it is just like you said, It comes and goes.

Also check this:
http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127335&highlight=fc6+slow