PDA

View Full Version : First boot with too high resolution

Mixy
25th October 2006, 03:54 PM
Hey

Just intalled FC6 on this computer, and it was too high resolution when the installation was done, and i was booting for the first time. The last thing it say is that the "Starting Udev", then i get a message wich is implemented into my screen. I get it when the resolution is too high. Normally i can see whats going on, but it only shows a black screen

When i press Ctrl+Alt+F1 it shows the previous loading screen. There it says "starting udev" still. I cant see that much of the text really, it seems like this page has got its text stretched to the other resolution, i can only see a little part of the whole picture.

Mixy
25th October 2006, 10:06 PM
Uhm, i was just thinking. It woulden't help to format. I dont get to see the resolution directly after the install. Is there anyway i can change this resolution? So that i can see it with my screen?

robatino
26th October 2006, 02:04 AM
I had the same problem with an older machine that couldn't handle better than 1024x768 at 16 bit depth. It was trying to use 1280x1024 at 24 bits. I could only partially read the screen. First, when you boot you can get rid of the rhgb option (and the quiet option if you want more verbose output), by hitting enter at the grub screen and then "a" to edit the boot line. Then, when I got the too-high resolution during firstboot, I had to reboot once or twice until it finally chose a usable resolution. I went through firstboot until it reached a point where I got a black screen with a cursor slowly blinking on and off, and the machine was totally unresponsive (even to Ctrl-Alt-Del). So I powered down and rebooted again, and got a login screen with the distorted video again. But I was able to read the screen well enough to login and go to System/Administration/Display and fix the video mode. After restarting X everything was fine.

Mixy
26th October 2006, 05:18 PM
Hmmm... didn't totally work, but got me one step closer tho.

I got the first screen, where you configure the SELinux, firewall etc. But then i had to boot again, and after this, i got the same result.

To get the configure window, i had to push "a" under GRUB. And then remove the last two things it said in the line there. I think it was:
rhgb quiet

Before i removed those, i coulden't get the configuration tool either.

conbocuoi
28th October 2006, 03:09 PM
I totally have the same problem, after 3 hours I found out a very easy solution:

- Just boot until you get the the Black screen or "Monitor cannot display..." or whatever "attention signal" from your screen.

- Then press Ctrl+Alt+F2 as much as you can until you see the console text screen which will allow you to log in as ROOT.

- Type your root password and then Enter

- Type "system-config-display" without the quotation, hit enter and...

>>> Here you go! <<< set at anything you want to adjust the resolution to : low, higher, extreme or blow-up your monitor :)

Have luck with you!

thedon
16th March 2007, 06:54 AM
this works for me, my computer has done that every time I've reinstalled.