PDA

View Full Version : FC6 System halt just before the login GUI appearing.

ijzer666
25th October 2006, 02:40 PM
Sometimes when I log out the login screen does not appear (the screen stays completely blank) and the system goes completely unresponsive.

I had this problem on fc5 (see here (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113255) and here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=106378)) and was sort of hoping fc6 would fix this, but it hasn't.

I am 99% sure this has something to do with the nvidia drivers and my slightly unusual dual screen setup (xorg.conf attached).

Anyone else having this problem? How to best debug this?

Vrah
25th October 2006, 05:51 PM
Yes, I just finished installing Zod last night and I had the same problem after the configuration of the sound card was finished. It started booting the login gui but the screen was black and just kept on flickering -- as if trying to find the best resolution? It just kept on doing that forever.

Yes, I also have an nVidia video card. nVidia GeForce 6600 GT on a 20.1" widescreen DELL LCD monitor.

Everything is fine now but I noticed that whenever I am running Gnome, the graphics are kinda slow to respond to graphical events.

Hummmmmmmmmmm

ijzer666
25th October 2006, 06:00 PM
@vrah: I'm not sure you've got the same problem. Can you still hit crtl-alt-f5 when the screen goed blank? Does your problem occur after logging out? Are you running the livna nvidia drivers? Do you have a dual screen setup?

Vrah
25th October 2006, 10:23 PM
Hey,

I have no dual-screen setup. It only occured once, and that was after the setup process of the soundcard after you come back from your first reboot after the installation process.

ijzer666
26th October 2006, 02:04 PM
Hey,

I have no dual-screen setup. It only occured once, and that was after the setup process of the soundcard after you come back from your first reboot after the installation process.

Ok, probably a totally different problem then...

ijzer666
27th October 2006, 10:52 AM
Ok i noticed something else. When i got this problem on fc5, after a hard reboot everything would be fine again. Not on fc6, after rebooting X will not come up, when i try startx it gives an error message like:

xauth: creating new authority file
fatal server: server is already running for display 0
if this server is no longer running remove /temp/.xo-lock
xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
xlib: invalid mit-magic-cookie-1 key
giving up
xinit: unable to connect to x server
xinit: nu xuch process (errno 3)
server error

In addition if find the following line in my Xorg.0.log:

AUDIT: Fri Oct 27 11:34:22 2006: 2690 Xorg: client 4 rejected from local host
Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1