PDA

View Full Version : Strange internet problem

sarwat
18th October 2006, 11:55 AM
Hello All,

I am a newbie in linux, I just installed FC5 for the second time but this Time I installed
the boot loader on the / partition instead of the MBR anyway I am trying to access internet,
strangely i can browse google n yahoo using firefox and konquror but nothing else, i can't get any other web site even after searching through google i get the search results
but can't get them it gives me page can't be displayed

I tried everything on the net but no use :confused:

it is realy pissing me off as i didn't have this prob. when i installed it last time with the boot loader on the MBR

can anybody help me

thanx

Ciao

jgxenite
18th October 2006, 12:19 PM
I doubt that installing the bootloader into the MBR instead of the / partition would make any difference to your browsing experience. I can only assume from what you've said that there is a problem with your internet connection. Have you set it up correctly? Do you have the correct DNS settings?

James

sarwat
18th October 2006, 12:25 PM
yeah i set it up correctly everything is ok and i checked my /etc/resolv.conf file also

it is wriiten on the top of the resolv.conf "search localdomain"

is this right??

jgxenite
18th October 2006, 12:36 PM
That shouldn't cause a problem - all it does is resolve addresses to ".localdomain" if I can't find them in the DNS. So "machine1" would become "machine1.localdomain" if it couldn't find a machine1 specified anywhere on the network. I assume that the rest of your resolv.conf file are the entries for your DNS servers?

James

jcliburn
19th October 2006, 01:23 AM
Your symptoms sound a bit like a tcp window scaling problem. Try executing this command as root

sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0
Then retry your stalled connections.

stevea
19th October 2006, 01:59 AM
It doesn't sound that way to me (but hey - I may be wrong).

I'd suggest you try the following:

nslookup google.com
nslookup fedoraforum.org

and post the result.

Also I could not understand what was in /etc/resolve.conf. Post it.