PDA

View Full Version : DVD playback oddisey

artabranx
11th October 2006, 02:50 AM
Hi!

I've installed Fedora Core 5 some weeks ago, and now wanted to play DVD movies in it. I knew Fedora took DVD playback support off from the distribution. So I went to Fedorafaq, etc, and read some howtos which basically told me to add new repositories (freshrpm, livna, etc) and install xine, totem-xine and libdvdcss among other things. But after doing it, I still can't play DVDs. The following are error messages under various programs.

Mplayer:
DVD successfully opened.
MPEG-PS file format detected.
Encrypted VOB file! Read DOCS/HTML/en/cd-dvd.html.
Totem:
The source seems encrypted, and can't be read.
Are you trying to play an encrypted DVD without libdvdcss?
Xine:
The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. Your DVD is probably crypted...
I suppose the problem is applications can't use libdvdcss properly. I think this lib is correctly installed as there are libdvdcss.so.2 and libdvdcss.so.2.0.8 files in /usr/lib, and ldconfig -p shows it. Programs talk about libdvdread attempting to retrieve all CSS keys before failing and reporting these error messages.
I rebooted my system and downloaded mplayer's codecs bunzip and extracted them into the filesystem, but no effect. Does anybody know what's going on here?

Thanks in advance!!

wdgiles
11th October 2006, 02:55 AM
Have you tried Stan Finley's site? http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

artabranx
11th October 2006, 02:59 AM
Yes, that's the web where I read how to install mplayer's codecs and how to run Xine with "--auto-play --auto-scan dvd" arguments. Doesn't seem to work :-(

Thanks!

lazlow
11th October 2006, 03:04 AM
yum install libdvdcss

That should clear it up.

Lazlow

John the train
11th October 2006, 09:49 AM
Just a thought, you mention Freshrpms AND Livina, did you see the warning on Stanton Finley's How-to about mixing packages from these repos.?

artabranx
11th October 2006, 12:10 PM
yum install libdvdcss
Did it. yum said "Parsing package install arguments. Nothing to do" after getting repository information. It seems it's already installed.

Just a thought, you mention Freshrpms AND Livina, did you see the warning on Stanton Finley's How-to about mixing packages from these repos.?
I read it after having included the repos in my yum configuration and downloading the packages. I hope this is not causing the problem, because it seems difficult to solve a group incompatibility between repositories.

Thanks for your responses

lazlow
12th October 2006, 12:29 AM
Have you used atrpms? If so I would suggest a fresh install. Most of the others are not nearly as bad.

Lazlow

artabranx
12th October 2006, 01:09 AM
No, I have not used atrpms. Anyway, I'm thinking in reinstalling FC5 again, because I can't find a solution to this. On the other hand I'm afraid of getting the same issue. Will try to get a solution for a few days.