PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling GRUB and Windows boot CD problem

gebezis
8th October 2006, 05:11 AM
Hello,

I've been reading forum postings for 2 days but still can't find the solution to my problem.

I've 3 partitions on my harddrive - 1 with WindowsXP, 2 with data only and 3 with Fedora Core 4.

I want to remove the partition that fedora uses and NTFC re-format it.
I didn't do that yet because I read I should remove GRUB first.
The only sollutions I found were - to use the Windows XP CD and it's recovery console.
Unfortunately the CD won't boot. It just sais something like "Examining your hardware...." and then instead of showing the blue screen it turns to black screen and nothing else happens. I thought the CD was broken so I found another but it made the same problem.
I searched the forums for such problems and found a similar but with no solutions to it.
(I have no problem with the Fedora boot CD)

Please help me remove the CD boot problem and uninstall the GRUB.

Thank you very much
Eva

gebezis
8th October 2006, 05:59 AM
I just tried using the Fedora linux restore from the boot CD

the partition table I have is as folows:

/dev/hda1 - NTFC - this is where Windows is
/dev/hda2 - Extended (partitioned to those that follow)
/dev/hda5 - NTFC - it is just data partition
/dev/hda6 - linux (boot I guess)
/dev/hda7 - linux swap
/dev/hda8 - linux itself

I want to remove just the last 3 but if I type <fdisk /dev/hda6> or 7 or 8 it sais there is something wrong with the partition and if I type <d> to delete it gives an error. I suppose that is because those 3 are pars of hda2 Extended. I've made the main 2 partitions (hda1 and hda2) from windows CD and later I devided the second to hda5.6.7.8 with Fedora CD to be able to install fedora.

Besides I'm really afraid of loosing any information from the NTFC partitions. I can't make backups unfortunately now.

I'm really a newby with linux and am sorry about that.
Please help me resolve the problem.

mick
8th October 2006, 06:42 AM
Maybe use Gparted Live - http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php - to get rid of the offending partitions and start over?

rappermas
8th October 2006, 06:53 AM
I KNOW that Windows Installation never even boots up when there are Linux partitions on the hard drive. When it tries to read the table, it gets confused. The only way is to backup the data, wipe the disk, and start over. Sad, but true.

That's why Microsoft can eat it when say Windows is better than Linux. It can't recognize anything other than NTFS or FAT.

Dan
8th October 2006, 01:54 PM
Hmmm. An idea.

First, know that any data you do not back up is always going to be at risk. Period. No exceptions.

Second: This is not going to be a clean and elegant solution. It's just an idea/guess and a hack that will leave at least one linux partition on your drive. (/boot)

Third: Your mileage may vary, and proceed at your own risk!

To start with, use Linux to edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file to change the grub boot menu order to have the "other" (Windows) boot entry first, default, and the only entry there. Then set the time-out value to 1 seconds.

Then boot from and use the gparted LiveCD (or any other Linux live/boot/installCD which has gparted or qparted on it) as indicated by Mick to merge hda7 and hda8, and then format them as NTFS or FAT32. (I recommend FAT32.)

This will leave the /boot partition and GRUB in place, which will then just continue to boot your Windows for you as it does now. However, due to the short delay time, it should become almost transparent in the process.

Later, as you learn more about what you are doing, you can go into the /boot partition and clean out the Linux image file that you no longer need.

Dan

P.S. If you decide to try this, please post back with your results. I'm curious to know if it works! :eek: