View Full Version : Xine no sound with .flv files

19th September 2006, 07:02 PM

This isn't an important problem. Just something driving me crazy. I have a flash file from You Tube saved to my harddrive. MPlayer plays it with no problem. Xine (and Kaffeine) will play the video but there's no sound. All other types of files, dvds, etc. play perfectly in Xine. Don't Xine and MPlayer use the same codecs? --And the video plays in Xine, so the problem doesn't seem to be with Flash, but with the audio.

I've looked around the Web for a solution, but haven't found anything that works. Why can MPlayer handle the playback, but Xine drops the audio?

Thanks for any help,

20th September 2006, 12:31 PM
Me again. I found a Ubuntu fix, but have no idea if it would work on FC4.

This is from: http://www.macewan.org/2006/06/01/howto-firefox-flash-video-sound-on-ubuntu-linux-dapper/

"sudo aptitude install alsa-oss
sudo gedit /etc/firefox/firefoxrc

I just found this and won't been able to check anything until tonight.

16th November 2006, 08:12 PM

I think I found out why there's no sound with flash files on Xine. It's here: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=36837743. Evidently Xine demuxes (?) the flash video portion, but ignores the audio portion. (I thought I had read that some people could play flash files correctly using Xine and VLC, but maybe they were viewing streaming videos online, and not .flv files downloaded to the hard drive. All I can say for sure is that on my computer MPlayer plays both sound and video, and Xine and all its clones play video but no sound.) I guess Xine developers --or at least someone smarter than I am, will have to fix this.

Anyway. the only solution I've come up with is to use ffmpeg to convert the files to .mpeg, .asf, .avi --and probably Quicktime .mov files. (I haven't actually tried .mov files yet.) There seems to be some degradation in quality (maybe) , but the files will play on VLC, Xine and all of Xine's various clones.

Wish someone would design a frontend for ffmpeg... Such a wonderful program!