View Full Version : Kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 Concerns

gamradtk
19th September 2006, 01:33 PM
After installing the newest kernel I get the following messages are boot:

avahi-daemon[2075]: Failed to find user 'avahi'

NFSD: Using /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery as the NFSv4 state recovery directory
NFSD: unable to find recovery directory /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery
NFSD: starting 90-second grace period

I have nfs setup using nfsvers=3. nfs looks like it is working.

These were not present with kernel 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!!!

bob
19th September 2006, 02:29 PM
If nothing else has changed and you feel it's a kernel bug, then please do a search for similar reports here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/index.cgi and, if none, please file a bugzilla. The developers need to know when things like this happen.

gamradtk
19th September 2006, 04:33 PM
I have two machines: 1 is an nfs server and the other is an nfs client (1 of many clients - others are i386).

Both have the following packages installed:
avahi.x86_64 (0.6.10-1.FC5)
avahi-glib.x86_64 (0.6.10-1.FC5)

Only the nfs server generates the boot messages listed previsouly.

I looked on both machines and found that the nfs server did not have any entries in /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, and /etc/gshadow for the 'avahi' user, but the nfs client did (id 70).

gamradtk
20th September 2006, 01:03 PM
I added matching avahi user info from the nfs client machine to nfs server machine and now when I reboot avahi-daemon doesn't complain.

Added to /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, /etc/gshadow

Then ran make from /var/yp (the server also runs NIS)

I still get the NFSD messages when I reboot. Any thoughts on simply added the missing directory. The only question I guess I would have would be about required directory permissions.

Any thoughts???

Thanks in advance!!!

pcwright
13th October 2006, 01:19 AM
I am struggling with this same problem. Just out of curiosity, how much ram do you have in your server? I only have 256 today but I'm bumping it up to 1G and adding the second processor as soon as the ram arrives. The pc I'm typing this on has 512 and Apache runs fine but won't run on that server. We'll see.

gamradtk
13th October 2006, 04:12 AM
I have 2 GB of ram in server...