PDA

View Full Version : vmware-server guest os installation alternative

powereds
16th September 2006, 09:48 AM
hi all,

good day.

i want to install rhel5beta on my vmware-server, my problem is i don't wan't to burn these
iso's on cds. i can boot rhel5beta using the first iso file by editing the cdrom device and
selecting 'Use ISO image' but when it asked to insert the second cd i right-clicked on
cdrom 1 icon located at bottom-right of the gui, edited it and selecting the second iso image
of rhel5beta. it successfully read the second iso image and when it asked for the third cd,
i still do the same way as mentioned above but vmware-server suddenly froze and an error
was displayed. i power off the guest os and try another way.

this time i use the ftp way. i supplied the necessary info so it can get the iso's on my ftp server
but it searched for repodata/repomd.xml. i created repomd.xml using createrepo and it
automatically created the repodata directory but but still failed to install.

i have tried before installing linux using iso files only but i put it on other partition of the same
hard drive. the difference this time is theres an allocated space virtually which i can't
connect to the host hard drive (isos located on the host hdd). even i selected the local hdd
still can't detect the host local hdd.

what i want is to install the guest os without burning isos on cds, can you help me?
please post your ideas and your experiences here.

purpose:
1. cost-cutting (no budget) :D
2. faster installation time (supposed to be)

note: i have no external usb storage

thanks in advance.

markkuk
16th September 2006, 10:52 AM
when it asked for the third cd,
i still do the same way as mentioned above but vmware-server suddenly froze and an error
was displayed.
Did you media-check the ISOs before trying to install?

this time i use the ftp way. i supplied the necessary info so it can get the iso's on my ftp server
FTP install doesn't use ISOs, you must either mount the ISOs or copy their contents to a directory, see http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/s1-steps-network-installs.html

powereds
16th September 2006, 11:26 AM
Did you media-check the ISOs before trying to install?
no but im certain that its not the media that is giving the problem because of its error after turning off.

that's what also in my mind after doing the ftp setup as its error indicated that it will read the
anaconda-2006*-i386 file but i haven't reseached about it. that way will satisfy my purpose #1.
as a consequence it will consume more space, nevertheless i will try it.

thank you very much for your help markkuk :D