PDA

View Full Version : MPlayer Plugin With Firefox

zenarcher
16th September 2006, 12:12 AM
I'm new to Fedora and am having a problem playing videos, using the MPlayer plugin on one system. When I go to a website, such as CNN News and try to play a video, MPlayer opens, but I do not get the video or sound. MPlayer just loops, showing Connectiong....then starting the video, then Connecting again.

On this system, I am using MPlayer Plugin Version 3.31-1. I tried Version 3.25-1 with the same result. On my other system, I have MPlayer Plugin Version 3.21-1 and it works perfectly. Otherwise, both the system are quite similar as to the installed software. Both are 32 bit systems, running KDE desktop.

Could anyone offer me some assistance in fixing the problem?

Thanks,
zenarcher

Iron_Mike
16th September 2006, 01:15 AM
Check out this link has everything you need to know......

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#

zenarcher
16th September 2006, 01:46 AM
Thank you for the assistance. I had tried that, but must have done something wrong. I removed the MPlayer from my system and again followed the instructions shown by Stan and everything worked fine this time. I have used his notes for everything in my FC5 installation and they are wonderful for someone unfamiliar with FC.

Thanks again,
zenarcher

zenarcher
16th September 2006, 02:05 AM
Okay, apparently I'm still having a problem with the videos on CNN News. This is strange. I can play one....close it and try to play another and I get the same looping between connection and looking like it's going to play. I can go back to the one that just played and have the same thing happen...just looping from connecting to looking like it is going to open and play...then back to connecting.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
zenarcher

Iron_Mike
16th September 2006, 02:07 AM
Just a quick questions, did you install the additional codecs?

zenarcher
16th September 2006, 02:51 AM
No, I had forgotten to do so on this installation. I did just install the additional codecs and am still having the same issue, however.

Cheers,
zenarcher

b00st
16th September 2006, 03:16 AM
There isn't anything you can do about it. I've had the same problem for the longest time now. Not sure what is causing it.

u-noneinc-s
16th September 2006, 04:22 AM
Okay, apparently I'm still having a problem with the videos on CNN News. This is strange. I can play one....close it and try to play another and I get the same looping between connection and looking like it's going to play. I can go back to the one that just played and have the same thing happen...just looping from connecting to looking like it is going to open and play...then back to connecting.
I've had the same thing happen on both CNN and KRON sites, but everything else has been fine, and I think the last time i tried CNN and KRON, they worked too. Maybe some upgrade fixed it, I don't know. I think I'll try them again and let you know.

u-noneinc-s
16th September 2006, 04:30 AM
CNN and KRON are both now playing the specified videos, but the quality is lacking. Most videos play well on mplayer plug-in, so it may be the sites.

Iron_Mike
16th September 2006, 04:35 AM
Make sure you have the mplayer and mplayer-plugin installed, on the firefox address window type about:plugins to verify which plugins are installed. By default Totem is the default video player, if you remove Totem with yum it will take rythymbox with it. Once done this will allow mplayer to take over the video. I just check cnn and it show a error about needing a plugin, I clicked "continue to video" and mplayer took over and played the video.

That little face, your be "about colon plugins" without the quotes and no spaces betweeen the words and colon

scotta3234
16th September 2006, 04:41 AM
mplayerplug-in just isn't 100% with all cites... there's nothing you can do about it. Certain mms feeds seem to give it trouble as well.

Also... you can make mplayer the default video player for websites within firefox without removing totem or rhythmbox by adding a new string in about:config.

Iron_Mike
16th September 2006, 05:33 AM
mplayerplug-in just isn't 100% with all cites... there's nothing you can do about it. Certain mms feeds seem to give it trouble as well.

Also... you can make mplayer the default video player for websites within firefox without removing totem or rhythmbox by adding a new string in about:config.

Which site are you having mplayer-plugin problems with, and your right it is not a play all alternative. There are others like RealPlayer, to pickup the slack. But in reality, Totem is crap along with rhythmbox better alternatives are Xine, Totem-Xine, mplayer the only reason totem and rhythmbox ae included in Fedora is they adhere to the GPL, the others are semi adherent but do not offer full GPL license.

zenarcher
16th September 2006, 12:30 PM
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one having the problem with CNN and the MPlayer plug-in. The weird thing is that with the Version 3.21-1 plug-in, on the other computer, everything works perfectly. They are very similar systems with about the same install and just run through a KVM switch, so I can go between them. I never use Totem or Rythmbox, either. I'll check and make sure they are not installed and check the config in Firefox, as well. I much prefer Xine and use KMPlayer a lot, as my first choices.

Cheers,
zenarcher

electroconvulsi
27th November 2006, 05:21 AM
The same thing has started about 2 weeks ago for me as well using smh.com.au and my favourite radio station stream in rhytymbox. I reckon that M$ had pushed a new propietry codec on some companies that they were well aware would restrict non M$ users from using their services therefore creating a situation where users have to buy certain products to access these services. I dont know if my comments have breached the rules of this forum but I dont really care. M$ products dont do what I want them to anyway (try running a MIDI studio using XP and you will get what i mean) and then there is good old class compliant drivers that make your hardware as useful as a brick. I could go on for hours about it but I have better things to focus on. Hopefully the new codecs will be ported to ZOD (and every other linux distro) pretty soon.

Frelov
1st December 2006, 01:07 AM
Warning: I don't assume ANYBODY using Linux knows what their doing as I'm an ignorant n00b that knows nothing myself. I generally post as if I'm sharing with someone who has little or no experience with linux.

(I'm running fc5 on an AMD athlon XP 2ghz cpu 1gigram ati wonder 9000 raedon w/sblive5.1sound. running KDE for the desktop and configured using http://www.stanton-finley.net.)

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread but I figured I'd post my solution to this problem. At least it appears to be working so far.

1) make a back up copy of ~/.mplayer/mplayerplug-in.conf in case you make mistakes. The tilda represents your user home directory. i.e. mine would be /home/funkalicious/.mplayer/mplayerplug-in.conf

2) go to a video site of your choice (cnn, etc.) I used cnn. click on a video. When it starts trying to start up, "right click" on the screen and select "configure. choose a video and audio output option that seems to work with your website of choice. ***Be very careful about these settings. I chose "x11" for video output and alsa for audio output. SO FAR this is working well with the exception of the first 2 or 3 seconds of the video is stop and go for some reason but then it smooths out and plays fine. I've played 14 videos off cnn so far before posting this and haven't gotten the usual looping that I used to get.

IF you choose to experiment with these settings and all of the sudden firefox freezes when you try to run a video, then restore the old mplayerplug-in.conf file to at least get back to where you were before.

If you prefer manual editing to graphical editing you CAN edit the file through vi or gedit but you need to know the options available to your system first.

Here's what my mplayerplug-in.conf file looks like:

vo=x11
ao=alsa
cachesize=512
cache-percent=35
dload-dir=/home/funkalicious
showtime=1
enable-wmp=1
enable-qt=1
enable-rm=1
enable-gmp=1
enable-mpeg=1
enable-mp3=1
enable-ogg=1
enable-midi=1
enable-pls=1
enable-smil=1
enable-helix=1
nomediacache=0
nopauseonhide=0
rtsp-use-tcp=1
rtsp-use-http=0

Before switching to x11 "vo" I had tried direct play (nomediacache=1) and that froze up my firefox every time I tried to play a video. I didn't know at this time, of course, about the config file so I had not backed it up. I spent 2 hours searching on here until I found an old question on here that mentioned the .mplayer/config file which got me to looking in the directory.

For those who don't know and are interested the zero represents off/false and the 1 represents on/true

stoomart
17th December 2006, 12:33 AM
Thanks Frelov, worked like a charm. I've been beating my head on this issue since FC4. You Rock!
p.s. I didn't even need to install the w32codecs.

electroconvulsi
19th December 2006, 03:09 AM
Luckily SMH.com.au took to heart all the emails they got about their streaming services and went back to .asf. as for straming .mms through rythymbox no luck there.

Jongi
12th January 2007, 08:39 PM
This has done the trick.