PDA

View Full Version : Installing gcc and g++

datagram40
15th September 2006, 10:45 PM
I'm a bit new to linux. I'm wanting to install gcc and g++ for ndiswrapper. I cannot seem to get the rpm's working on the FC5 dvd. Will I need an internet connection when I'm trying to install gcc from the dvd? My final objective is to finally get ndiswrapper to work. I cannot make it because gcc is not installed. Also when installing ndiswrapper (after running make uninstall) I type make (in the ndiswrapper directory) I get this output:

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.23]# make
make -C driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/ndiswrapper-1.23/driver'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/build SUBDIRS=/root/ndiswrapper-1.23/driver
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc: command not found
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc: command not found
make[2]: gcc: Command not found
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686'
LD /root/ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/built-in.o
CC [M] /root/ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/hal.o
/bin/sh: gcc: command not found
make[3]: *** [/root/ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/hal.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** [_module_/root/ndiswrapper-1.23/driver] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/ndiswrapper-1.23/driver'
make: *** [all] Error 2

------------------I guess I should post what make uninstall does

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.23]# make uninstall
which: no loadndisdriver in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbi n:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin)
which: no loadndisdriver in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbi n:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin)
which: no ndiswrapper in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/ usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin)
which: no ndiswrapper in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/ usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin)
which: no ndiswrapper-buginfo in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/loca l/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin)
which: no ndiswrapper-buginfo in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/loca l/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin)
NOTE: Not all installed files are removed, as different distributions install nd iswrapper files at different places.
Run uninstall as many times as necessary until no "removing" messages appear bel ow.

Any help would be nice!

IPI
16th September 2006, 07:21 AM
Well i am new to linux my self, but for my laptop, to make the wireless card work, i needed to make ndiswrapper to work... no matter what i did, i couldn't make the source file and compile it and install it.. everytime i would get a diffrent error and since i am new to this , it was a disaster.. now what i did was i installed livna and used a yum command to install ndiswrapper.. the good thing about the yum is , it looks for dependency within packages, so if you are missing a package (let say gcc)it will take it and install it as well and it will install ndiswrapper in no time without any make , or ./configure or nothing... there are lots of webpages online on how to install ndiswrapper using livna on FC5... just google it.

this was my undrstanding and my wireless card works better now than it did under windows... i hope what i explained is currect... well there are lots of expert here so they should be able to currect me if there is something wrong... :)

just trying to help...

good luck

datagram40
25th September 2006, 07:40 AM
I was able to get the driver installed and it sees the network, it just wont aquire an ip address, which is so annoying.

Thanks for the info though!