PDA

View Full Version : backup with md5sums

Wiles
15th September 2006, 05:29 PM
I'd like to make a backup of my files on a CD. but, I have previously experienced parts of the CDs becoming unreadable after some time. So, I was hoping that there is an easy way to impliment file verification into backup CDs and DVDs. I know that md5sums exsist for file verification, but I don't know how to use that in conjunction with a backup (if I have a few thousand files to backup, it'd be a pain to manually verify each file during a restore). Is there a way to collect the md5sums of all the files, then add them to a database or text file, burn that on CD with the files, and maybe a program that automatically checks the files on the CD to the database file?

LocutusOfBorg
15th September 2006, 06:19 PM
Usually before burning data onto a dvd I create a md5 file for them using cfv. It can create a single md5 file for each file, a single file for each directory or a single file for all the files. I burn those *.md5 files onto the dvd itself.
After burning, i mount the disk and use cfv to verifiy the burned file against their md5sum.
Is something like this that you have in mind?

Wiles
15th September 2006, 09:22 PM
yep, that'll do it.