PDA

View Full Version : firefox: no available download actions (mime types)

idiotprogrammer
15th September 2006, 08:21 AM
Hi, I have the fc5/latest version of firefox, and I've installed the extension downloadthemall. (which I've disabled when trying to troubleshoot my problems). javascript is enabled.

I'm trying to get a java app to start via the web when I noticed that my Firefox download actions menu includes no actions for specific file types. In fact, the menu is not even populated with anything! (as it normally is in windows).

this kind of sucks. And the included documentation doesn't even list the word MIME in its index. Anybody know what's going on?

rj

ogetbilo
15th September 2006, 08:29 AM
I use the swiftfox 1.8.0 from www.getswiftfox.com
I don't have such a problem. You may want to try that.

idiotprogrammer
15th September 2006, 08:58 AM
This is very interesting and worth watching.

But this is not the answer to my question :)

(too bad it's not on yum).
by the way, does this mess up firefox's profiles. (I don't want to mess around with that).

But getting back to the original question: why are the download actions missing? Is this a known issue or something I've messed up on?

rj

ogetbilo
15th September 2006, 09:24 AM
Honestly, I don't have an answer for your question.

Swiftfox is swift :)
You put it in your /usr/lib folder and extract it with
tar jxvf swiftfox-<version>.tar.bz2
(change the <version> with whatever you have.)

Then make a shortcut on your Desktop to /usr/lib/swiftfox/swiftfox

It will not mess with any rpm's you have or your firefox profiles. To make yourself feel safe, you can backup your firefox config directory. It is the .mozilla directory (with the '.' in front) in your home folder.

EDIT: I now saw an installer in the swiftfox home page. I never tried it. But I can say, it works my way:).