PDA

View Full Version : [I have no name!@localhost ~]# ?? Help!

Dr.Diesel
13th September 2006, 01:54 AM
Updated my FC5 machines for the first time since FC5 Final came out, now I have no users! When I "su" I get:

su: user root does not exist

When I try "adduser root":

adduser: unknown GID 100
adduser: name root is not unique

I have both the passwd and shadow files in /etc, I have even tried copying over the passwd- and shadow- files with no luck! The passwd file shows root and all of my other users.

Anyway to rebuild the user files?

Jman
14th September 2006, 04:24 AM
Do the passwd and shadow files contain a root line? (Likely the very first one.)

Can you su to a different user?
su - user

a thing
14th September 2006, 04:49 AM
From a live CD, add (or replace your root line with) this line:

root:$1$9LKpBOe8$jsR8IIIf3kSyK2oCzJxsV.:13405:0:99 999:7:::
This will set your root password to temporary. Then chroot or boot into Fedora and set your users back up.

Dr.Diesel
15th September 2006, 12:24 PM
Guys this is really weird. I was not able to su cause any user I tried did not work. I tried running pwck, it did find errors and corrected them. I reset my root password, it worked for an hour or so, then went back to "I Have no Name". So then I copied my passwd and shadow files from my FC6 machines, again worked for a while then quit!

So then, I reformatted, completly fresh intall, everything was good for 1 day, then again it happened!!! I must be having some hardware failure?

The last time it rebooted I did get some HAL deamon error.

red_dungeon
15th September 2006, 01:05 PM
probably hacked ?
This can't be a problem of fedora per se...

Pls post the output from

grep root /etc/passwd

when you get the weird 'I Have no Name' output...

Dr.Diesel
15th September 2006, 01:10 PM
probably hacked ?
This can't be a problem of fedora per se...

Pls post the output from

grep root /etc/passwd

when you get the weird 'I Have no Name' output...

Think so? I have the computer shutdown right now. I'll post the output when I get home. I figured the passwd/shadow files were getting corrupted somehow.

red_dungeon
15th September 2006, 01:21 PM
okey, don't seems to be hack related (googled a bit), but the output would be useful...

and, perhaps there are some bak / old passwd/shadow files on your computer

ls -Al /etc/{passwd*,shadow*}

Dr.Diesel
15th September 2006, 01:24 PM
Yea there was a passwd- file. But remember i've done a clean install, wiped the HD, installed fresh, and it happened again!

red_dungeon
15th September 2006, 01:34 PM
errrrm...
strange. Never* had this effect. Maybe your disk is (getting) f*cked up ^^

*and I'm using different linux'es since 7-8 yrs...

fedora since fc3

Dr.Diesel
15th September 2006, 01:38 PM
Yea, i haven't gotten any errors for anything else! The drive is fairly new, but the MB/CPU is old. I've used it for a file server for years, doesn't require much speed!