PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and Epiphany

jvroig
12th September 2006, 02:16 PM
I most often use Epiphany (the GNOME web browser) instead of Firefox due to my use of the save-session feature. I'm a sysdev, I want my windows (editors, tech docs, even browsers since they are pointing to resources or the database and I don't want to reopen those apps/windows/tabs everytime I start my laptop again), and Firefox doesn't support the feature.

Anybody here know any reason (especially about security) to use Firefox instead of Epiphany?

Thanks.

markjensen
12th September 2006, 03:06 PM
I like the number of tabs Firefox will display. It shrinks them down to nearly the width of the favicon. Epip keeps the tabs too wide for my taste (and my habit of opening around 10 tabs in a browser).

Is there a flashblock for Epiphany? That is one thing I have grown to love in Firefox (in fact, it is the only extension I have installed), and I would not go without it any more.

But there are personal reasons, and may not apply to you.

hollywoodb
12th September 2006, 03:14 PM
I most often use Epiphany (the GNOME web browser) instead of Firefox due to my use of the save-session feature. I'm a sysdev, I want my windows (editors, tech docs, even browsers since they are pointing to resources or the database and I don't want to reopen those apps/windows/tabs everytime I start my laptop again), and Firefox doesn't support the feature.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2324/

jvroig
12th September 2006, 03:19 PM
I like the number of tabs Firefox will display. It shrinks them down to nearly the width of the favicon. Epip keeps the tabs too wide for my taste (and my habit of opening around 10 tabs in a browser).

Is there a flashblock for Epiphany? That is one thing I have grown to love in Firefox (in fact, it is the only extension I have installed), and I would not go without it any more.

But there are personal reasons, and may not apply to you.

The tabs do get annoying, but I only use 2 when I'm developing stuff, so that's 80% of my time. I also don't use any extensions at all (I'm a pretty standard, plain as vanilla, guy I guess)

To hollywoodb, that's cool, but I'd rather have built in support. Just me.

Anyway, if there is no security reason (is Firefox more secure at all than Epiphany?) I'll stick with Epiphany(it also displays the phpmyadmin pages better than firefox, which is strange) until someone alers me to an Epiphany security weakness.

markjensen
12th September 2006, 04:07 PM
I have no reason to believe that Epiphany is significantlt more or less secure than Firefox. Just keep updated, when when a fix is made to Epip, you will get it automatically.

hollywoodb
13th September 2006, 12:07 AM
Epiphany uses Gecko as the rendering engine, so I imagine it would be on par with any Mozilla project as far as security and quality goes. I've noticed it does render some pages a little differently, I'm not sure where that comes from ;)

Jongi
13th September 2006, 12:35 AM
Tab Mix Plus (which might be the link further up) saves your sessions.

BandC
13th September 2006, 05:20 PM
Opera also supports re-opening of tabs.

schwim
13th September 2006, 05:25 PM
I don't think you're going to find much of a difference in security.

I use FF due to the customization possibilities with extensions and themes. Personally, I could care less whether a feature is built in or not, as long as it's easily acquired :) Doing web-dev, I save multi window sessions, so if I need to open client control panel/website/phpMyAdmin, I open a new window, and open that session while saving my normal browsing window. It's pretty dandy.

thanks,
json

rclark
13th September 2006, 11:45 PM
There may some secure sites that don't work with Epiphany. For example the staples rebate site (can't remember the URL) says it doesn't recognize the browser. Firefox worked fine. Other than that ... preference?