PDA

View Full Version : Utf8

micha
20th February 2004, 09:16 PM
I'd like to know what you think about UTF8. I guess english people don't have problems.

Well, I'm French - sorry about that - :D , and I had issues with UTF8. The only reason is that I use Windows XP, implying that I use a FAT32 partition as a share area between the two systems.
Well I guess Windows doesn't manage UTF8 filenames (only the filenames, it reads UTF8 encoded file).

So I had to go back to ISO 8859-15 (Western Europe with Euro). And everyhing is working fine now.

To change the encoding of the file system, modify your /etc/sysconfig/i18n file, and remove the UTF8 from the first line (the LANG variable). My i18n file look like this:
LANG="fr_FR"
SUPPORTED="fr_FR.iso885915:fr_FR.utf8:fr_FR:fr"
SYSFONT="lat9w-16"

This performs a global change (on the entire system). You can do it localy (just for a user environnement), by creating a .i18n file in your home directory, and writing down the LANG variable of your choice.

Micha

mhelios
21st February 2004, 04:53 AM
As mentioned in the release notes, English speaking poeple can have problems if they make a telnet/SSH connection to older RH versions or other OSs. Here's some short term solutions from the release notes:

Fedora Core has made a transition from single-locale encodings such as Latin-1 to UTF-8. As a result, you may have problems when making a Telnet or SSH connection between newer versions of Fedora Core and older versions, or between newer versions of Fedora Core and other operating systems. Symptoms of possible problems include (for example) a mangled display in "mc", or the inability to read non-ASCII files.

In the long term, all systems are expected to migrate to UTF-8, eliminating this issue. In the short term, there are some workarounds to be aware of:

- In gnome-terminal, the "Terminal->Character Coding" menu allows you to force a specific encoding.

- The xterm(1) and luit(1) man pages describe the -en and -lc options, which can be useful.

- The iconv command line utility, especially with the -c option to handle invalid characters, can be useful for converting files to other encodings.

You can also change the LANG and SUPPORTED env variables to change your character encoders.

nikale
15th January 2007, 07:28 AM
Hello all,

I have this problem of making my linux international. I actually want to display files written in east asian languages (chinese ,japanese and korean) and european languages as well.I tried to change the file /etc/sysconfig/i18n but it did not work.
My aim is displaying those languages in the " CONSOLE".

can u help about that

thanks for your time

nikale

ratula
30th July 2011, 09:57 AM
:blink:
I have a problem in renaming some files having (invalid encoding):

example:
bridge}}}]]]]:????.::{%&*(invalid encoding)

I want to rename it as:

bridge0001.dat

Can any body help me?

:Y:mad: