PDA

View Full Version : wlanconfig

crossmr
11th September 2006, 11:48 PM
I need this. I yum installed madwifi but this was for some reason not included. Madwifi's wiki says just do that and have at it..but obviously I missed a package or something.

Google is sketchy, some say I need madwifi-ng, others seems to think I should just have it. Where can I get wlanconfig to go with the madwifi I already have on my system so I can go about using it?

paolosca
12th September 2006, 02:28 PM
If you installed madwifi using yum it should be already madwifi-ng.
Depending on the repository you used, madwifi may be splitted in different packages (the kernel modules and the utilities).
Try with:

yum info madwifi*
There may be a madwifi-utils (or something like that) package you need to install.

Regards,

Paolo.

crossmr
12th September 2006, 08:16 PM
nope, madwifi-kmdl madwifi-hal-kmdl and madwifi-devel thats it.

No utils.
the repos I have are:
dries
atrpms
kde
macromedia
kde-all
core
updates
freshrpms
extras

Should I add any other repos to get this perhaps?

[edit] nvm, I seem to have it now. It basically came out of the blue, not sure what enabled it.

paolosca
13th September 2006, 05:24 AM
I hope not all those repos are active, there is a sticky topic on this forum about atrpms:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=94861

madwifi-kmdl and madwifi-hal-kmdl are just the kernel modules
madwifi-devel are the headers used if you need to compile software that uses madwifi libraries

I think you are missing a package called madwifi:

Name : madwifi
Arch : i386
Version: 0.9.2
Release: 1.lvn5
Size : 215 k
Repo : livna
Summary: Kernel module and Diagnostic tools for Atheros wireless devices
Description:
madwifi is the Multiband Atheros Driver for WiFi, a linux device
driver for 802.11a/b/g universal NIC cards - either Cardbus, PCI or
MiniPCI - that use Atheros chipsets (ar5210, ar5211, ar5212).

This package contains diagnostic tools you can use to get information
about your madwifi Atheros wireless connections. You do not need this
package to make a madwifi connection.

If you really can't find it in your repos you can remove all your madwifi packages, add livna and install kmod-madwifi (the kernel module) and madwifi (the tools)

Regards,

Paolo

crossmr
13th September 2006, 05:36 AM
madwifi turned up and things all seem to be there now. Do I need kmod-madwifi if I have the other 2 instead?

paolosca
13th September 2006, 06:13 AM
If you already have madwifi-kmdl, my guess is that you don't need kmod-madwifi (which seem to be the same thing). Anyway I wouldn't mix up different packages from different repositories.

Just make sure the kernel modules you installed are for the kernel you are using.

yum install madwifi-kmdl-$(uname -r)

If you are still using kernel 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 I'm not sure you can still find the modules in the repositories.

Regards,

Paolo.