PDA

View Full Version : Wireless / Yum? Difficulties

riddley_w
11th September 2006, 02:47 AM
Hello all,

I recently installed Fedora Core 5 on a separate HD partition on a notebook already running xp. It works pretty good except for a few kinks.

First off, I do not currently have access to a wired connection and I'm having trouble getting wireless to work. I have an onboard Intel 2915 as well as an Atheros based PCMCIA. When trying to set up the Intel under the network settings, it semms to recoginize it only as a wired NIC. Assuming this was a driver issue, I tried to load on appropriate drivers (the intel from intel's own website, and the Atheros from madwifi), but this led to my second problem...

In the applications menu, when I open the Add/Remove programs option, I get an error msg to the effect that package loading failed or some such thing... Does this mean I have a corrupt install? I did check the disc before loading it and it checked fine. Trying to install the drivers through YUM cmd line seems a bit dau nting to a neophyte like myself, especially when I dont have the resource of an internet connection to check my steps. Of course the lack of a connection also causes problems in getting the downloaded drivers/ programs into linux. So far Ive been burning the files onto a iso/udf compilation in nero but i think there must be a better way as fedora doesnt seem to support multisession discs.

Id appreciate any advice/help you can offer.

Thanks,
riddley_w

Iron_Mike
11th September 2006, 03:04 AM
To get your Intel wireless to work go to this link and download the 3.0 version of the firmware to your home directory.

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

Next unarchive the files, there will be 3 of them. Now copy the 3 files to your /lib/firmware directory (you will need root privleges to do this). Then reboot your computer and then try the network configuration gui.

Oh yeah for your yum issues try issuing this command them try yum again:

yum clean all

riddley_w
11th September 2006, 04:55 AM
Iron Mike,
I tried out what you suggested, copying the files into the lib/firmware directory and then

rebooted. When I tried to again configure the gui, I got the same message that came up when

fedora was booting... ipw2200 does not seem to be present. Also, in the gui, it is still only

available in the ethernet, and not the wireless category. Further, with the add/remove

programs thing, when i try to open it, I get an error msg stating 'unable to retrieve software

information'.

Iron_Mike
11th September 2006, 01:08 PM
What kenel version are you using for FC5? Open a terminal window and type:

uname -r

There should be 3 files and did you check to see if they were actually copied into the /lib/firmware directory.

riddley_w
12th September 2006, 02:07 AM
The 3 files are there... my version is - 2.6.15 - 1.2054_FC5

Iron_Mike
12th September 2006, 02:36 AM
The 3 files are there... my version is - 2.6.15 - 1.2054_FC5

Oooops, thought you were running 2174 kernel or higher, my bad. Remove the files from /lib/firmware. Download the 2.4 version of the firmware unarchive it and copy those to /lib/firmware should be 5 or 6 files, then reboot and try the gui to configure the wireless.

riddley_w
13th September 2006, 01:46 AM
that seemed to work, I have a wireless adapter available now and wireless networks show up.... They say they connected (after ~30 seconds), though I still cant seem to get online, lol. I imagie this has do more with configuring my network settings tho...
Anyway, thanks so much for the help!

Iron_Mike
13th September 2006, 01:57 AM
that seemed to work, I have a wireless adapter available now and wireless networks show up.... They say they connected (after ~30 seconds), though I still cant seem to get online, lol. I imagie this has do more with configuring my network settings tho...
Anyway, thanks so much for the help!

Quite welcome. Depending on how your wireless network is configured, either using DHCP or using STATIC ip addressing you will need to configure. If using DHCP, you go to System -->Administration -->Network. It will ask for the root password. Highlight your wireless card and select the edit tab, make sure the DHCP box is checked and the obtain DNS info box is checked. Using STATIC you will manually have to enter the ip's, dns, gateway and subnet mask info. After the settings re changed you'll probally have to reboot.