PDA

View Full Version : How to write to automatically mounted removable media

royeo
9th September 2006, 07:37 PM
I have FC-5 and use KDE.

In this case the "automatically mounted removable media" is a multi card reader. One of the slots is for SD cards. I keep an SD card in that slot and when I start up FC-5 it (I assume) automatically mounts it. I assume this because FC-5 puts an icon for "Removable Media" on the desktop. And then when I click on that icon, up comes a copy of Konqueror showing the contents of that card. It doesn't show up on a file manager, (that's another question, how can I mount it so it shows up on a file manager?). I can read from it but I don't know how to, or even whether I can, write to it. Can somebody please tell me if and how I can write to it?

Thanks,

royeo

rappermas
9th September 2006, 09:07 PM
Konqueror is a file manager/web browser. Do you mean you want it to come up in Nautilus, which is for gnome?

You can write to any mounted media like this by dragging files into it or by using the cp and mv commands at the terminal.

Let's use an example of mine, a USB key. I plug it in and then click on Computer, which is on the gnome desktop and then there should be something called either Mass Storage Device/[the name of your device]. Either way, it shouldn't be too hard to recognize. You can just do a drag and drop of files into it and it should work fine.

If you want to do it from a terminal, you're going to have to figure out where it's mounted. My usb key would be mounted at /dev/sda1. So, at the terminal, I would:

su -
mkdir /mnt/card
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/card

This would create a directory in /mnt called card. Then it would mount the usbkey that I have to that directory. I would then be able to use the cp and mv commands to move files around. To copy a file, for example:

cp /home/ilia/sample.jpg /mnt/card
That would copy the file sample.jpg from my home directory to the device I mounted. To move the same file there with the mv command, type:

mv /home/ilia/sample.jpg /mnt/card/sample.jpg

You should be able to do what you need to do from the GUI though, unless you prefer shell.

marko
10th September 2006, 01:45 AM
The /mnt mount point is obsolete, try to use /media for all mounting