PDA

View Full Version : Cant boot my winXp after installing fedora

Torquemada10
8th September 2006, 03:58 AM
I installed FC 5 on a different partition and it works fine except when I try to boot previously installed winXp I get blue screen saying something like: curent volume is unmountable.
The error is due to hardware or software that werent installed properly.
Im told to if this is the first time I see this message I should restart the computer, I did that and still got the message.

How can I fix this?

Linuxuser397458
19th September 2006, 01:41 AM
Is the windows partition listed in your Grub or LILO configuration? Is the partition identified in administration/logical volume management from your fedora desktop menu?

Jongi
19th September 2006, 08:31 AM
Post the output of:

1. fdisk -l, and
2. /boot/grub/menu.lst

KRAZYBASTID
1st October 2006, 11:21 PM
The first partition is the FAT: which is the primary mini operating system that acceses the bios like when you installing on a blank memory computer. Your next partition is NTFS if your Microsoft primary. Then after that is the FAT32 (Basically everything inportant to run MXP) So what you do is Format some of the Free space on the NTFS I cut out about 16 G of a 70 G whole computer all on the NTFS. Good program in MXP is Partition Magic. The problem I don't like is that the freespace pushes the FAT32 way to the end of the drive and the FAT32 holds the MBR(Designated folder for which operating system runs the PC) Grub usually takes over from MXP boot.ini file I don't like that cause most of my stuff is on MXP. I think when I get skilled enough at UNIX I mite totally goto it.