PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Finley's repos with kde.repo ?

geronimo
7th September 2006, 09:55 PM
I am using the Finley's yum configuration (dries,core,freshrpm,macromedia,extras, updates) and I was wondering if I could add the kde.repo without causing any conflicts/errors. Is it possible?

u-noneinc-s
7th September 2006, 10:10 PM
I would not recommend using kde-redhat repos for KDE updates IF you installed KDE from the installation media or from Fedora repos. I have had many problems with KDE after updating with KDE-redhat. If you want to use kde-redhat to install KDE, you're probably fine as long as you stick with kde-redhat for all your KDE updates. That means you would {probably} need to exclude KDE from auto updates (if you use auto updates).
(note: kde-redhat usually releases KDE updates before Fedora does, so as long as you check kde-redhat regularly for updates, Fedora repos probably wont get the chance to overwrite anything).

If anybody has mixed kde-redhat updates with Fedora KDE installation without incident, (or visa-versa) please advise as well. We all know how "quirky" Fedora can be on different systems with different configurations, so it could be my problem has to do with my configuration.

geronimo
8th September 2006, 08:17 AM
Thank you for this helpful answer. I had some problems (crashes) with kde before and now as well, so I will exclude the kde.repo like livna (--enable repo). If i want to fully uninstall the kde and install it again, should I use the

yum groupremove kde
Will it work if I uninstall and install it again?

u-noneinc-s
8th September 2006, 08:57 AM
That should work, but to be more acurate, I think the command is
yum groupremove "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

Jongi
8th September 2006, 10:34 AM
I originally installed KDE from the install disk and then just did a yum update once i had added the KDE repo. My KDE has had no issues since. Must be a month or two since I did that. And I even use livna as a repo (although I have disabled dries and atrpms).