PDA

View Full Version : install problem on x86_64 FC5 on asus crosshair

david SCH
7th September 2006, 04:33 PM
Well,
I got a new mb asus crosshair, AMD 64x2 4200, 1 gig ram, ide hard drive, MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E-HD Geforce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card. I then installed x86_64 FC5.

I had to use noacpi and noaipc in order to install and run the FC5.
What exactly does noacpi and noaipc do? :confused: It seems to run slow. but it runs.

It looks like that it found out that I had a dual core cpu. But it runs slowly. I have updated BIOS and installed nvidia drivers and they work (wish VIVO work I can only hope).

I also have problems withs firefox and flash plugins. I can't get it to work. I tried to installed i386 firefoxusing yumex --forcei386 command but it didn't work. It keeps showing in the "about firefox" x86_64. How do see if it is i386 or x86_64?

Thanks David

David Becker
9th September 2006, 08:27 PM
Well,
I got a new mb asus crosshair, AMD 64x2 4200, 1 gig ram, ide hard drive, MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E-HD Geforce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card. I then installed x86_64 FC5.

What exactly does noacpi and noaipc do? :confused: It seems to run slow. but it runs.

It looks like that it found out that I had a dual core cpu. But it runs slowly. I have updated BIOS and installed nvidia drivers and they work (wish VIVO work I can only hope).

I also have problems withs firefox and flash plugins. I can't get it to work. I tried to installed i386 firefoxusing yumex --forcei386 command but it didn't work. It keeps showing in the "about firefox" x86_64. How do see if it is i386 or x86_64?

Thanks David

Did you do an update after the install?

yum update

David

fozner
10th September 2006, 02:04 AM
Yeah fedora 5 is rather plain out of the box. You might want to follow a quick guide for extending it.

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

You can tell what firefox you are running by looking at whether it's in /lib or /lib64 or by using the file command on the executable.

file firefox-bin
firefox-bin: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, stripped

If indeed you are using the 64 bit firefox, you will need a wrapper to make 32 bit plugins (eg flash) work...

pluginhttp://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:nspluginwrapper

Bah, the forum thinks that link contains a smiley. Here it is again.
http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:nspluginwrapper

The latest mplayer (not yet available in rpm format) has a 64 bit plugin (recommended) for playing videos in the browser. Good luck compiling it though. If you must play video, I would either wait for the rpm or downgrade the whole firefox-mplayer setup with yumex --force-i386 (tricky, you have to run yumex several times, update, run again, etc)

marko
12th September 2006, 12:53 AM
Well,

Thanks David

apic is the advanced programmable interrupt controller, it's useful with
multiple cpus so that a particular cpu can get targeted for an interrupt
and the others can be on their way doing what they're doing.
If you disable it because the kernel doesn't support that APIC
hardware it works around it in the kernel. But quite a few updated
kernels have come out since the one that came with FC5 so
it's possible if you do a yum update the current kernel
(2.6.17-1.2174smp) that it might work with your apic.

You could try it out by updating the kernel, then
remove the noapic from the grub line for
the new kernel. You can always go back if it
doesn't and put the noapic back in.

APCI isn't that important for a desktop, it's the
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. It's the newer
version of APM (advanced power management), acpi can
let you put your computer to sleep or suspend everything
to ram so it can wake up quickly and save you a good
fraction of what you'd save turning the whole pc off but
without having to wait for the reboot. Plus you get the advantage
of all the program states being saved and running as they were.

Mark