PDA

View Full Version : Add/Remove Software in Fedora Core-5

gejoe daniel
7th September 2006, 02:11 PM
In my Fedora-5 system,ADD/REMOVE Software is not working..whenever i want to see the installed packages i go to Applications menu and click Add/Remove Software and then the window opens telling"retrieving information" and after sometime the window quits..what's wrong??
This was not a problem for earlier versions of FCore Linux....
Gejoe Daniel

bob
7th September 2006, 02:52 PM
This is a constant question and problem with FC-5. Here's a workaround if you have no internet access:
http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages (bottom of the page). Of course, the packages on the CD's are very old at this point and you should use yum and the internet to install current packages if you have the option.

jcoles
24th October 2006, 08:53 PM
Does yum just throw away the packages after installation? I have never been able to find them.

In some cases, I would like to retain the package. Internet access might not be available at some later time when installing on another machine, for example. But I have never been able to find the packages after installation.

I don't remember the name at this moment, but the conf file has a parameter set to 0 or 1 that is supposed to affect keeping the cache. In both cases, the cache area in /etc contains only small files, no packages. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

gejoe daniel
26th October 2006, 07:56 PM
even for me same thing happened..
ADD/Remove packages didn't appear even once after the installation of FC5 whereas there was no such problem for fc4 or fc3....