PDA

View Full Version : Compiz and KDE

H8-TRAIN
5th September 2006, 01:29 AM
ok i went through the steps to install compiz HERE (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121553&highlight=compiz) and got evrything installed properly with no eroors, restarted kde with your mentioned method [ctrl] [alt] backspace, and didnt see any difference sao i restarted my pc. I see the "configuration tool for compiz" and open it but have absolutely no idea what i am doing, I have no idea how to use compiz or if it is running correctly, dont know how to utilize the "cube" portion of compiz or how to make my windows look like they do in the compiz video i saw when moving them around. can some please help me make sure that i DO have compiz running correctly adn maybe a walkthrough on how to make good use of compiz.
Thanks

H8

u-noneinc-s
5th September 2006, 05:27 AM
Don't know if this will answer your question but it might help. (My card isn't supported) :(

From http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux...

Using Compiz with the KDE desktop

First, make sure you are logged into KDE just like normal. Go into "Personal Settings", then "Desktop", then "Taskbar". Make sure "Show windows from all desktops" is checked. (Currently this is required for proper functioning of the taskbar under Compiz.)

Now you need to create two files that will let KDE know that you want another window manager (compiz) instead of the default kwin. Open the kate editor as root: KDE Launch (green SUSE logo), Run Command: kdesu kate (you will be prompted for the root password). Copy and paste the following into a new text document:

/usr/bin/compiz gconf & /usr/bin/gnome-window-decorator &

Save it to /usr/local/bin with the name compiz.sh This file needs to be given execute permissions. That can be done this way: KDE Launch, System, File Manager, File Manager - Super User Mode (you will be promted for the root password). Go to /usr/local/bin, right-click on compiz.sh, choose Properties, Permissions tab, check [x] Is Executable.

One more file is needed: create it following the same procedure as for compiz.sh , but save this one in /opt/kde3/env with the name kdewm.sh and copy and paste this line in it:

export KDEWM=/usr/local/bin/compiz.sh

You also need to make this file executable, in the same way as for compiz.sh. This will instruct KDE to run compiz.sh instead of kwin. Once this is done, log out of KDE and log back in. You should have functioning Xgl on your shiny new K Desktop Environment.

See also the section on KDE on the Xgl troubleshooting page

H8-TRAIN
5th September 2006, 03:44 PM
I also saw this but my problem is i dont have a "/opt/kde3/env" directory. so.... should i just create it any way and see if it works?

Thanks
H8

u-noneinc-s
5th September 2006, 10:19 PM
Since it doesn't support my card, I haven't read it all, but I guess the easy answer is that it can't hurt to try. :).
If it doesn't work, hopefully someone else will have an answer for you.
In case you haven't seen it, there is another thread on the subject (compiz that is, not whether or not it works with KDE)