PDA

View Full Version : yum - How does it solve dependencies?

Borkar
4th September 2006, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I have a problem with yum/yumex.
I have configured yum and yumex to look for repos at
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
baseurl=ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/.3/rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/$releasever/$basearch/
(Separated on three different files in /etc/yum.repos.d/)

If I download the rpms to the cache folder and install them, it may be fine (sometimes yumex has problems solving dependencies (yumex version 1.0.2. This is also something I haven't managed to work yet. Anyway...).
So, if I now grab all the rpms from the cache folder and copy them to any other system with exactly the same FC5 64bit version installed (fresh and identic installation), I cannot install these rpms via
rpm -Fvh (path)
I receive error messages like:
libHalf.so.2()(64bit) is needed by blender-2.42-6.fc5.x86_64
libIex.so.2()(64bit) is needed by blender-2.42-6.fc5.x86_64
libIlmImf.so.2()(64bit) is needed by blender-2.42-6.fc5.x86_64
libImath.so.2()(64bit) is needed by blender-2.42-6.fc5.x86_64
tetex-preview = 11.83-5.fc5 is needed by emacs-auctex-11.83-5.fc5.noarch
[...]
Basically, there are a lot of libs missing.

The strange thing is, it seems that I don't even have these libs installed on the machine where I ran yumex. (To search for these I use rpm -qa | grep lib)

How does yumex solve these dependencies and why can't I install the packages downloaded by yumex on any other machine?
Does yum/yumex look for rpms on any other locations than the ones that I add in the *.repo files (as mentioned above)?

Thanks for your time to help me :)

Kind regards
Borkar

bob
4th September 2006, 11:25 PM
Borkar, does the other machine have internet access? If so, and you've moved the program to the other machine for installation, yum (or yumex) will first see what libs or other dependencies are involved and then attempt to go to the enabled sites in your yum.repos.d to download the libs and complete the install. If not online, there's no place to go and the install will fail.

With the machine that does work properly, it's a good idea to check 'yum provides (or 'whatprovides') libHalf.so.2' and see if one program provides most or all of the missing libs. You could also download and port that over to the affected machine.

Borkar
7th September 2006, 10:29 AM
Hi,

ok, everything was fine except my install command. If I install the rpms with
rpm -Uvh path
it works. The problem was that there were dependencies missing for which yum had to install new packages. So I have to tell rpm that it is allowed to install stuff as well.

Thanks.

Regards
Borkar