PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk dropped from BIOS list

hussram
4th September 2006, 06:32 AM
Hello,

I have experienced recently (perhaps due to some update since my FC5 is up to date until this moment) that the hard disk is missing from the BIOS detected devices when I RESTART from Linux only (in this case I go in BIOS and I exit and then the disk is detected). Everything is normal (BIOS H/W config remains unchanged) when I restart from Windows or when I shutdown from Linux and then start the computer. Any thoughts on this behaviour. Thank you.

Regards

hussram
6th September 2006, 09:54 PM
Hello again,

I hope that I would get some feedback regarding this issue. Please share your thoughts. Thank you and regards.

saBrEwolf
6th September 2006, 10:31 PM
Hi,
I have recently experienced my BIOS 'forgetting' what my harddrive settings are but thats probably my fault for resetting the system and then powering off the system. A bit harsh for a non-kernel lockup but anyways...

My first suggestion would be to make sure that you are that you are saving the settings in the BIOS upon exiting the BIOS menu. Rather than have the system autodetect everytime, save the settings.

My second suggestion would be to check the BIOS battery.
You may not have noticed the time slipping if you have ntp updating the time.

Hope this helps

pete_1967
6th September 2006, 10:35 PM
If none of above is the cause, make sure you back up all your data, your HD might be on its last leg. Check the cables and then run drive diagnostics to ensure that disk isn't dying.

steve941
7th September 2006, 03:01 AM
yeah its not linux related
sorry looks like bad news
do above, check cable
also:
post info about your computer, age of it, hard drive make / manufacturer how old it is

google hitachi drive fitness test download it and use it to as an excersiser to check for problems

hussram
30th September 2006, 07:17 AM
Thank you ALL for your replies.

The problem as you know that I can not RESTART my Linux (by using neither GUI Restart nor command init 6 ). When I attempt the RESTART, the system shutdowns normally until it's ready to start, then I get the following message: NO IDE Fixed disk present. So, I would go into BIOS and then exit. This way, the IDE hard drive is detected and the system would boot normally.

I checked the cable and it looked OK. Also, I plugged in my backup hard drive (one month old backup) and I experienced the same problem. Both hard drives are Seagate 120 GB and are 1 - 2 year old. I had recently re-formatted both disks and I had no problem during format and during backups.

I'd like to understand why you suspect it's the hard drive when Linux SHUTDOWNs perfectly and WinXP has no problem with RESTART and SHUTDOWN.

Regards.

Seve
30th September 2006, 07:29 AM
Hello:
Just a thought?
It could be something as simple as your CMOS battery slowly wearing out? How old is your motherboard?
Since this issue has just started, it may be that the battery is not saving all the CMOS settings on a consistent basis.

Seve

hussram
30th September 2006, 07:36 AM
Steve,
Thank you for your reply. My computer is five years old. Would CMOS battery be associated with all motherboards? Would CMOS battery issue not show when I restart WinXP?

Regards

Seve
30th September 2006, 07:44 AM
Steve,
Thank you for your reply. My computer is five years old. Would CMOS battery be associated with all motherboards? Would CMOS battery issue not show when I restart WinXP?

Regards
Hello:
If you motherboard is 5 years old then it is probably well overdue for a new CMOS battery. They are not very expensive and they are readily available.
It's just a guess on my behalf, but both OS's interact with the BIOS somewhat differently so it may or may not be the root cause. The only reason I suggested the battery is that the behavior you described
resembles an issue I had once with an older motherboard. Since you enter the BIOS and do whatever and save and exit and FC boots okay, until the next time, it just seems that the settings are not being retained?

Seve

steve941
30th September 2006, 04:09 PM
hmm .. yup I didn't think of CMOS ... but that could definately be a problem if motherboard is old.
but I wouldn't think so due to the bios message "NO IDE fixed disk present"
as far as I know that is independent of CMOS and battery.
to me that means the bios is having trouble detecting the hard drive which i think is not related to cmos battery. but all motherboards have different error messages .. it could also mean it doesn't detect a boot device, in which case a new battery would most likely solve
so id try a new battery
ive had both problems with cmos and hard drive
and now that I know they are Seagate drives, and especially since you what tried two of them, its not your hard drives.
i originally thought it jus as a possibility becuase i had a problem on an old computer where i had a hard drive (maxtor) over heat, and the bios would no longer detect it.

pete_1967
30th September 2006, 06:40 PM
I'd like to understand why you suspect it's the hard drive when Linux SHUTDOWNs perfectly and WinXP has no problem with RESTART and SHUTDOWN.

Regards.

Last year when two of my HDs (yes, two in a short succession, one was Samsung and another was Maxtor) failed, the early symptoms were exactly what you specified first, therefore my first thought was that it is caused by failing HD. An another user told that he suffered exactly same kind of problems, but those were caused by failing CD drive so it seems that any failing device attached to one of the IDE channels could cause seemingly irrational failure to detect any or some of the attached devices not necessarily attached to same cable even (his CD was slave on IDE2 but BIOS failed to detect primary HD on IDE1).

hussram
12th October 2006, 09:18 PM
Hello Everyone,

As I personally expected, I have replaced the CMOS Battery and I still have the problem. I do not believe it's a problem with the hardware of my system. I tend to believe it's the way FC5 proceeds with the RESTART command. I have looked at the "halt" script (the "reboot" command is only a link to the "halt" command) and I disabled the power option "-p" with the "reboot" command and it did not solve the problem. During RESTART, it seems to me somehow that FC5 takes the HDD off line just before the system is restarting and that why the BIOS reports " NO IDE Fixed disk present".

DOES ANY BODY HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH THE restart COMMAND? IS IT ONLY MY SYSTEM THAT HAS THIS PROBLEM? Please give your feedback

Regards

steve941
12th October 2006, 11:23 PM
lets see only on linux restarts not on linux shutdown, then poweron, or windows reboot, or poweroff, then start .. hmm

ok if it only happens when you reboot linux then it must be a problem with linux and probably a kernel issue. I've gone through the kernel configuration a number of times and i thought ive seen things about reboots and quick reboots and how on certain systems there may be issues. i say the kernel because thats what deals with the io, disks, pretty much a lot of stuff, and its probably not fully releasing your drive or something so that when you do a restart in linux, your bios wouldn't detect your drive because it wasnt properly uninitialized.

so a fix would probably include: getting the kernel source and going through the config and checking out reboot options like quick reboot or whatever might be options. i havnt' had to do any of this, and i don't know the kernel config to change but, that's most likely what youd have to do. maybe consider hitting up bugzilla.redhat.com

hussram
6th December 2006, 09:35 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to update you on this issue. Although I had raised this issue on bugzilla.redhat.com and I had no resolution. Listen to this: At one point I realized that my Floppy Drive is no longer present on my desktop. When I checked the mounted devices I found it was missing from /etc/fstab. I defined the mount point in /mnt and defined it in /etc/fstab and when I started the system with Floppy Drive mounted and available, then I was always able to restart my system any time. It's now back to normal operation.

Regards