PDA

View Full Version : fedora core 1 to 3 wanted

londonjoe
4th September 2006, 12:47 AM
am very very new to linux, so far i have been disapointed with the response i have had to my request for help,hopefully someone will change my opinion, as i need to learn for myself, i need to get fedora core 1 to 3 wanted in london,must be a cd, where can i get this and how do i go about getting it :rolleyes:

Wayne
4th September 2006, 12:54 AM
am very very new to linux, so far i have been disapointed with the response i have had to my request for help,hopefully someone will change my opinion, as i need to learn for myself, i need to get fedora core 1 to 3 wanted in london,must be a cd, where can i get this and how do i go about getting it :rolleyes:

This is your first post so how can anyone have responded to your requests for help?

Ever heard of Google?

Edit: I must admit my trollometer went right off the screen but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Go here:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/

There's a subdirectory for each release, 1 to 5. Drill down through i386 to iso and download the disk images.

I doubt you'll be able to get those older releases on CD now that they are legacy releases.

Wayne

u-noneinc-s
4th September 2006, 01:40 AM
I doubt that the learning curve will be much different (if any different at all) from FC3 to FC5. Don't know about 1 and 2.
I have FC3 on CD, and I would be more than happy to give them to you if you are serious about wanting to learn. They are on CDRW so take care not to accidentlly erase them ;)
When installing Fedora core, it is important to keep up with updates, and with FC3 in legacy, it won't be supported much longer.
Fedora repos for FC3 are probably still up, so you can do an initial update, but it won't quite be current. You'll need to upgrade yum for legacy for the latest updates.
If you want them pm me your address. (Click on my username and click on send private message)

londonjoe
4th September 2006, 11:16 PM
Wayne! hmmmmmm,,,,! i did not think anyone would believe me anyway, thanks for the help,but i want to do a clean install,that's why i want the disk,i will lose the download when i format disk,and as am not a tekkie like you and i don't have a cdr drive, i think it will still be a problem for me, besides, the jargons you were using are a bit scarry for a newbie like me, please go easy on me

Wayne
4th September 2006, 11:48 PM
Wayne! hmmmmmm,,,,! i did not think anyone would believe me anyway, thanks for the help,but i want to do a clean install,that's why i want the disk,i will lose the download when i format disk,and as am not a tekkie like you and i don't have a cdr drive, i think it will still be a problem for me, besides, the jargons you were using are a bit scarry for a newbie like me, please go easy on me

Still giving you the benefit of the doubt......

First off I'm not a 'tekkie' Computers have nothing to do with my job, it's just I've been messing about with them since DOS 3.1 days and I may have picked up a few things along the way :D

Second, how on earth do you expect to install without a CD drive?

What London are you in? The one seperated from europe by the English channel or the Canuck one? (I use 'what' instead of 'which' because there may be more Londons about)

If it's the first one, there USED to be a computer fair on Saturdays at the top (and sometimes bottom at the Empire? Ballroom) of Tottenham Court Road, I think in or near the TUC office. Entrance USED to be 50p but knowing the UK it's more like 50 quid by now! If you hop along there you may be able to pick up a cheap DVD drive. Then hop along to W.H.Smith and look for a Linux rag, they usually have a cover DVD and it might include FC5.

If you are a newbie then you really don't want to mess about with those older versions, just go straight to FC5. I cut my teeth on Mandrake/Mandriva because it includes loads of newbie friendly GUI tools so you may want to look at that then progress onto FC5 or FC6 when it comes out.

If you are serious about this, give us as much info about your PC as possible so we can give you more advice.

Wayne

londonjoe
5th September 2006, 01:05 AM
hey Wayne, the more you speak, the more i am convinced you are a tekkie :rolleyes: ,Mandrake/Mandriva,gui tools? kennels? somebody hellpppp, i don't have a clue about what you are on about, am a green newbie, a baby not even born yet, how am i suppose to know all these?
as for my pc, it's a p2 350Mhz, cd drive, 256ram,6Gig hd,just got a cdr drive,but it's a scsi and i do not know how to connect it, hmmmm,,,,,,what else can i say,you probably think it's not a computer because of what you are use to. :(
it's london uk in europe by the way
good night now :)

Wayne
5th September 2006, 01:19 AM
hey Wayne, the more you speak, the more i am convinced you are a tekkie :rolleyes: ,Mandrake/Mandriva,gui tools? kennels? somebody hellpppp, i don't have a clue about what you are on about, am a green newbie, a baby not even born yet, how am i suppose to know all these?
as for my pc, it's a p2 350Mhz, cd drive, 256ram,6Gig hd,just got a cdr drive,but it's a scsi and i do not know how to connect it, hmmmm,,,,,,what else can i say,you probably think it's not a computer because of what you are use to. :(
it's london uk in europe by the way
good night now :)

Going to bed already! It's only after midnight there :D and after 09:00am here.

Methinks you're winding us/me up here! I think it's time to send the boys around for a knee-cap job!

Mandriva is another distro of Linux. From the Froggies across the Channel :D

GUI = Graphical User Interface. The thing with the pretty icons and window thingies, toolbars, etc.

If it's a SCSI drive you'll need a SCSI card in your PC to connect it to. More expense!

You're a bit tight on disk space for Fedora and a tad lacking on CPU power. Fedora and all the extra apps I have installed are taking up 5.8Gb of space (no server stuff and no development stuff) You'll have to prune your install a bit or look for a lighter-weight distro like Damn Small Linux or even Xubuntu. I wouldn't try to use KDE or Gnome on that unless you're into watching paint dry.

Wayne

u-noneinc-s
5th September 2006, 02:36 AM
Yes indeed. My FC5 install is a bit over 7 GB (with more stuff than I'll ever use, but by no means a bloated install. You might do well to pick up an extra cheapy small Hard Drive if you can, and format the 6 GB drive for a "minimal install" os (referred to as "/") and the other for /home (where the users environment resides). You'll also need what is called a swap partition. I guess it can go on the same drive as /home.
I don't recall all the lightweight desktop environments, but you're definately too limited for KDE or Gnome. I'm sure rondonjin can recommend one. I think XFCE? (Sound right).
The discs are on the way. In the mean time, read the Fedora FAQ (there's a link at the top of this page) there should still be a FC3 section of the FAQ, and also check out http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html. Pay particular attention to yum (in both sites) as that is the software manager. I'm sure that the default yum config will still be applicable to get you going, but like i said, it is not going to be current so you'll need to configure it for legacy soon after you get what you want.

It's probably going to run pretty slow on 300MHz CPU

Wayne
5th September 2006, 02:45 AM
Yes indeed. My FC5 install is a bit over 7 GB (with more stuff than I'll ever use, but by no means a bloated install. You might do well to pick up an extra cheapy small Hard Drive if you can, and format the 6 GB drive for a "minimal install" os (referred to as "/") and the other for /home (where the users environment resides). You'll also need what is called a swap partition. I guess it can go on the same drive as /home.
I don't recall all the lightweight desktop environments, but you're definately too limited for KDE or Gnome. I'm sure rondonjin can recommend one. I think XFCE? (Sound right).
The discs are on the way. In the mean time, read the Fedora FAQ (there's a link at the top of this page) there should still be a FC3 section of the FAQ, and also check out http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html. Pay particular attention to yum (in both sites) as that is the software manager. I'm sure that the default yum config will still be applicable to get you going, but like i said, it is not going to be current so you'll need to configure it for legacy soon after you get what you want.

It's probably going to run pretty slow on 300MHz CPU

Is Fluxbox in the repos? Maybe he would do well to install that instead of KDE/Gnome. I hear good things about it. Apart from that and XFce are there any other good suggestions for a lightweight functional DE for a beginner?

You sent the disks to the UK? Good on you!

Wayne