PDA

View Full Version : Deleting a kernel

microo
31st August 2006, 04:28 AM
Hi i'm not sure if this question as been ask but here it is. When i boot with Grub i have a choice of two kernels to choose from. I would like to boot with the newest one and remove the old one. How can i do that or can i do it differently.

Thank you

Seve
31st August 2006, 04:35 AM
Hi i'm not sure if this question as been ask but here it is. When i boot with Grub i have a choice of two kernels to choose from. I would like to boot with the newest one and remove the old one. How can i do that or can i do it differently.

Thank you
Hello:
You probably want to have at least 2 and probably 3 kernels to choose from in case something goes gaga on you.
the file /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonyn.conf contains the expression:
tokeep=2 by default
meaning, each time you install a kernel via yum it will remove the oldest leaving 2
If you want to remove a kernel
open a terminal and log in as root using
su -
yourpassword

then
rpm -e kernelyouwanttodelete

Seve

microo
31st August 2006, 07:37 AM
Hello:
You probably want to have at least 2 and probably 3 kernels to choose from in case something goes gaga on you.
the file /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonyn.conf contains the expression:
tokeep=2 by default
meaning, each time you install a kernel via yum it will remove the oldest leaving 2
If you want to remove a kernel
open a terminal and log in as root using
su -
yourpassword

then
rpm -e kernelyouwanttodelete

Seve

Thank you Seve

I will follow your advice i have only two to choose from so i will leave it that way.

Thanks again

Seve
31st August 2006, 08:00 AM
Hello:
Yes, you want to have at least 2 if not more kernels installed. It's mainly for peace of mind and if something is broken in a kernel that you installl, it is nice to have something to fall back on.

Seve